1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how dirty can an egg be for hatching

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Berynn, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Berynn

Berynn Cooped Up

Oct 13, 2007
    I am not a neat freak, but two of my eggs that I got today were really dirty, I wish that I could post pics. I am going to ask my daughter tonight if she can help me post some pics. Especially of my two new chicks that I just hatched.

2. NewGuineaChooks

NewGuineaChooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    San Antonio, Texas
    Dirt on eggs cuts down on likelihood of successful hatching. But its not something that is easy to measure. To be safe, try to choose as clean eggs as possible.

That being said, one of the chicks in my incubator hatch came from the dirtiest, yolk covered, egg imaginable. I put it in thinking nothing would grow, but got a healthy chick out of it!

3. perrym1962

perrym1962 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    Eastview, Ky..
    I have gently washed dirty eggs many times with warm water and they still hatched just fine. I did not scrub them, just put them in the warm water a few seconds and wiped it off with my fingers. A friend gave me 16 duck eggs last year that were covered with mud. I washed all of them off and hatched 15 out of 16. That is my experience.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by