1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

How do Brahma chickens handle hot weather

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by greenSearcher, May 1, 2011.

1. greenSearcher

greenSearcher Songster

Aug 22, 2010
    Texoma
    I have lusted for a couple/three dark Brahma hens for awhile now, actually since I saw my first picture. I live in N TX, summer temps consistently over a hundred June until Labor day. It is a dry windy heat. Last summer was my first year, and I lost 2 birds to heat exhaustion, a black EE and one of the Cuckoo Marans. Almost lost the Speckled Sussex. I have improved their coops to keep them cooler this year (already have had 100 degree days) but I don't want to get these beauties if they will suffer from heat. Any experiences?

2. mulewagon

mulewagon Songster

Nov 13, 2010
    Alabama
    My first chickens were Light Brahmas. It was a bad drought year - they panted a lot in the heat, and sneezed from the dust. We have plenty of shade, and I gave them ice water twice a day, so none of them died.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My flock of brahmas does very well in our horrible SW Arkansas summers. I'm from Florida originally, so I can rightfully call Arkansas summers horrible.

Plenty of fresh water, both inside and out, and fans in their coop. I've noticed a pattern with my brahmas. In the summertime they will forage in the early morning and later in the evening. During the heat of the day they find a nice patch of shade to lay in and keep cool. My birds free range. The brahma flock is a little over 3 years old and doing great. Added bonus, no special care in the wintertime. They breeze right through it.

ETA: Keep stresses to a minimum during the heat of the day. If I want to give them treats or work with them or their coop, I do it in the cooler morning hours so they don't get overheated with activity.

Last edited: May 2, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by