How do button quails distinguish each other's sex?

conqueror444

In the Brooder
Hey guys. I have a question that appeared out of curiousity... how do button quails (especially males) distinguish each other's sex? Like for us humans, we usually either check for the bip, vent feathers, behaviour and the vent opening to sex our button quails.

But for the quails themselves, how do males know if they're mating with a female and not mistaken that female for a male quail? I mean like they could possible try to mount on a male quail you know (not knowing its not a female).
Do they also distinguish each other's sex by their appearance or do they emit like pheromones that tell their sex?

Last edited:
Hey guys. I have a question that appeared out of curiousity... how do button quails (especially males) distinguish each other's sex? Like for us humans, we usually either check for the bip, vent feathers, behaviour and the vent opening to sex our button quails.

But for the quails themselves, how do males know if they're mating with a female and not mistaken that female for a male quail? I mean like they could possible try to mount on a male quail you know (not knowing its not a female).
Do they also distinguish each other's sex by their appearance or do they emit like pheromones that tell their sex?
Well from my understanding the males have a specific call they use to attract females and warn other males of their presence and makes will fight with each other so I'd assume body language and vocalization is the way makes will tell each other they are male and not female and of course for example with the wild type the males can see the bib and vibrant colored feathers and be able to see it's a make not a female.

Well from my understanding the males have a specific call they use to attract females and warn other males of their presence and makes will fight with each other so I'd assume body language and vocalization is the way makes will tell each other they are male and not female and of course for example with the wild type the males can see the bib and vibrant colored feathers and be able to see it's a make not a female.
Thanks @Gigachad poultry . That makes more sense now😊

Back
Top Bottom