How do chickens act in the cold weather?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LivingFate, Nov 21, 2008.

1. LivingFate

LivingFate Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2008
    I let my chickens out yesterday to free range and they kept tucking one leg under so only standing on one leg. Is that normal? Should they not be allowed out when its really cold?

2. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I wouldn't lock them up. Their first winter is a bit of a shock to most chickens. Usually, they're just paranoid about what snow is and don't want to walk in it, at first.

I've never seen any of mine stand on one foot, to keep the other foot warm. I think that's so creative and smart of them! Eventually, they'll get used to the ground being colder in the winter. Mine go back into the coop to warm up for awhile, if they get too cold.

3. I noticed this today also. The roo and the hen that come all the way down to the house are doing this. They are perfectly heathy and it just seems to be a normal thing.

4. LivingFate

LivingFate Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2008
    I was all paronoid that there little legs were getting frost bite, so I let them into the kitchen for a bit to warm up [​IMG] but it scared me so I've had them in the coop with access to the run but not free range since then

5. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    What is cold for where you are ? My chickens were out yesterday and it was 9 degrees in the AM.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Where we live our highs lately have been in the low 40s, sometimes higher but with strong winds. Mine are still free-ranging all day.
    Do you put your hands in your pockets when your out in the cold? Lifting their leg(s) up closer to their body isn't much different.
    If it's cold mine go out.
    If it's rainy mine go out.
    They have the choice and they choose to go out.
    The only time I don't let them out is if it's raining and cold.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by