How do chickens act in the cold weather?

LivingFate

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 18, 2008
I let my chickens out yesterday to free range and they kept tucking one leg under so only standing on one leg. Is that normal? Should they not be allowed out when its really cold?

I wouldn't lock them up. Their first winter is a bit of a shock to most chickens. Usually, they're just paranoid about what snow is and don't want to walk in it, at first.

I've never seen any of mine stand on one foot, to keep the other foot warm. I think that's so creative and smart of them! Eventually, they'll get used to the ground being colder in the winter. Mine go back into the coop to warm up for awhile, if they get too cold.

I was all paronoid that there little legs were getting frost bite, so I let them into the kitchen for a bit to warm up
big_smile.png
but it scared me so I've had them in the coop with access to the run but not free range since then

Where we live our highs lately have been in the low 40s, sometimes higher but with strong winds. Mine are still free-ranging all day.
Do you put your hands in your pockets when your out in the cold? Lifting their leg(s) up closer to their body isn't much different.
If it's cold mine go out.
If it's rainy mine go out.
They have the choice and they choose to go out.
The only time I don't let them out is if it's raining and cold.

Back
Top Bottom