How do Cornish X Chicks look like at 1-2 weeks?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Avalon1984, May 6, 2011.

1. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    Hello fellow BYC's! I bought chicks from TSC (last time ever I did this) and I did avoid the meaty bin as I wanted layers. Now, after about a week my 2 yellow ones with very light chipmunk like stripes on their backs are nearly double the size of the other ones. I did get 1 EE also and they are only slightly taller than him and I don't know if I ended up with Bantams that I didn't want and the yellow ones are just Buff orphingtons or something like that, OR did I get all standards and ended up with 2 meaties? I do not yet have a picture of them but maybe one of you has? Thank you so much!

2. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    My meaties were all yellow, no chipmunk stripes. How big are their legs? If some of your chicks are leghorns are breeds like that they are not bantams, but are quite a bit smaller than mose standards so they might make heavier breeds look big in comparison.

3. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    cx meaties don't have chipmunk stripes. However some of the "red broiler" "brown broiler" "Freedom Ranger" types do. If they really are that much bigger than your others, you probably wound up with some of those.

4. Avalon1984

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So I managed to get some pictures of those guys at noon. They are starting to feather out in a reddish brown. I also took a picture of the giant with the mini. His legs are big but not as big as the pictures from the lady that posted here ealier with the same problem.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I think your bigger ones are just older. There is also a wide variety of growth rates, even within the same breed. They're not cornish cross [​IMG]

6. Avalon1984

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    Quote:Huh, that is great. That makes me feel a lot better. Thank you so much!

7. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    Mine are 3 weeks old also purchased at TSC I was looking at your pictures it almost looks like you have Buff Orpingtons I could be wrong but thats what My buff orpingtons from my own hens look like when they are 2 weeks - 3 weeks old.

[​IMG]
    The white ones Cornish x ? I believe

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  8. Saltysteele

Saltysteele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    MI
    yours look like my ameraucana's from TSC (i'm also from SW mich, so yours are from the same place as mine - townline hatchery in zeeland)

i've got the gamut of colors in my ameraucanas- 6 all together. 2 were yellowish, and 4 were the cute little chipmunky looking dudes (the striped eyes)

the 2 yellowish ones are still mostly yellow with spashes of brown (they look exactly like the one you have pictured - but older - and the legs are greenish) (they're all around 4-5 weeks now), and the chipmunks have turned into 2 that look a lot like silver ameraucanas and 2 are a partridge-type pattern. they said they were ameraucanas, but i think they only have ameraucana in them.

on a side note, all my black australorps are pretty black australorpy [​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  9. Avalon1984

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    I will go ahead and take some more pictures this weekend. They are slowly feathering out to be a bit brownish and don't look like the BO I raised from a day old chick earlier this year. They are the same size as the odd EE chick I got from the same bin. Starting to wonder about the little brown and black ones I got. Maybe my 2 yellow guys look so big because the other ones are so small. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by