How do get my chicken to stop chaseing the cat?

Maderia4

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 21, 2013
Central PA
Our cat Larz watched over the chicks from the day they came home from the feed store in April.. Even when we free range the chickens he is there to keep them together. Recently the smallest hen Odessa (a rode island red) has taken to chasing Larz. Larz still watches over the chickens but from a distance. And when they separate he follows but does not engage. Is there any way to reverse this behavior? I'm sure that Larz will still watch from a distance but I'd prefer it if Odessa did not come looking for trouble.

It is fairly normal behavior for a chicken to chase off a cat. It is unlikely that your cat will harm the chicken as the other chickens will no doubt chase the cat away if he dared make a move on any of them.
There is no real way to discourage a chicken from chasing a cat, chickens are fairly stupid animals so you can't really train them not to chase a cat. However if you were to let the chickens free range more often they will become used to seeing the cat and will probably not bother chasing it off any more as they will no longer see it as a threat. Your chicken Odessa must have quite a strong little character ;D

Back
Top Bottom