How Do Hatcheries predict the hen/cockerel ratio?

Set alot more than the orders, if they get alot of extra male, most are sold , even given as a bonus as extra chick when you buy 100. At least I know a few do.

Sure they know its a 50 to 50 odds. Any way they alway set alot more eggs than orders. I can pick up extra cockerel ,cheaper than hatching eggs.

Quote:
right, so how much do they estimate over?

They fill the incubator for that weeks hatch, and fill orders , if more they call to see about shipping early , if short they back order your order.

Order are not alway book when eggs are set.

Call any hatcheries on hatch days....bet money they will have extra cockerel they will sell you.

Last edited:
Quote:
lau.gif
Haha. That made me laugh.

So that's what they call the "extra" chicks that just happen to be in the box...

Quote:
lau.gif
Haha. That made me laugh.

So that's what they call the "extra" chicks that just happen to be in the box...

yes they used them to keep the other chicks warm.

They really do.. The farm store that I frequent orders 300 per week from ideal, they generally get 400 in with 100 of them being males.. packing peanuts. They give the ones that survive the voyage to anyone whom buys pullets and wants a rooster or two.

Quote:
right, so how much do they estimate over?

They'll have a pretty fair idea of what the hatch percentage will be for the eggs they are using so for example if they want 400 pullets and their hatch rate is 80% they'll set a thousand eggs or more likely a 1050 just to be sure they get the needed 400 pullets.

Back
Top Bottom