How do I avoid Frozen poop piles

My first time shoveling frozen poop this year I decided it was much worse than unfrozen. The poop boards in my coop are just bare boards that I have to scrape poop off of with a shovel. I don’t bother with whatever ends up in the straw on the floor, eventually it gets worked into the dirt anyway.

My first time shoveling frozen poop this year I decided it was much worse than unfrozen. The poop boards in my coop are just bare boards that I have to scrape poop off of with a shovel. I don’t bother with whatever ends up in the straw on the floor, eventually it gets worked into the dirt anyway.

An empty feed bag or light coating of shavings, sweet PDZ, sand, or dirt will prevent the scraping off bare boards.

I made the door open inwards, which seemed to be a good idea at the time...

You’re making me feel better. I’m glad I’m not the only one learning from mistakes. And I’m glad that I’m learning! Putting down a layer of paper, cardboard, sand or something removable seems like a good idea for the future. Gotta get it clean first though without breaking the thing. I’ll try heating up my putty knife before I pour hot water. It’s not as cold in Pennsylvania as -20 so I’ll count my blessings. Best of luck to you!

Am I the only one who thinks frozen poop is much easier to manage? No smearing, no smashing. And when I inevitably step on it, it's still solid and doesn't stick to the bottom of my shoe.
There has to be ONE thing that's easier in the cold...
Yeah, kinda unless it sticks to the poop board.
Most mine pop off pretty easily, with vinyl and PDZ, some I have to just leave.

The real problem is that the floor of the thing is thin and somewhat flimsy. I'm afraid that if I really chip away at the issue, I'll put a hole in the floor.
You'll have to wait until it softens some....
...then use the feed bag idea.

Did you see Alaskans post to line the tray with old feed bags? It would make the poop stick to something you can easily remove through said tiny door.
Excellent idea!

Am I the only one who thinks frozen poop is much easier to manage? No smearing, no smashing. And when I inevitably step on it, it's still solid and doesn't stick to the bottom of my shoe.

There has to be ONE thing that's easier in the cold...
I like using clean snow to scrub off dirty boards, feed bowls, even the garage floor. The abrasion from the snow works great. It's free and in northern MI, there is plenty of it!

I like using clean snow to scrub off dirty boards, feed bowls, even the garage floor. The abrasion from the snow works great. It's free and in northern MI, there is plenty of it!

I did the same thing in CO & MT w/ horse stuff. Didn't have chickens then, but thanks for the reminder!

Here in NC, when outside w/o a bottle scrubber for chick mason jar waterers - I load with sand, add a little water from horse tanks, cover w/ my hand and - "Shake, shake, shake...shake your bootie" - great way to get the grandkids to help with chores, too. They get a kick out of dancing in circles with home made "shakers". :D ;)

As to ideas for the OP, I like all of the above. Again, when in previous states, we often added more shavings on top of frozen (much larger for horses) manure hills. Then, next warm period, out that section went... We get freezes here on occasion. My coop/pens are DLM'd so not an issue. BUT frozen piles, from free ranging chickens, are a real tripping hazard in the open that are worse then stones/gravel/rock.

Happy Holidays!

Back
Top Bottom