How do i become a chicken farmer when i grow up?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Koopin, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Koopin

Koopin Wish Granted

Sep 20, 2008
    Usa
    I need some tips on how to be a chicken farmer when i grow up. I am only 15 but have always wanted to raise chickens as a full time job, I want my own farm one day but am willing to work on someone else's until i have the experience i need. I want to go to college to but what do i go for? Are there any classes or groups you know thats not FFA? I plan on moving to Kentucky later on in my life, thats were i want to start my own chicken farm. Please leave me some tips on what to do, Thanks allot.

[​IMG]

2. GertieBird

GertieBird Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2008
    Triad of NC
    Hey, there! Working on a chicken farm would be a great way to learn the tricks of the trade. There are poultry science fields of study at colleges. Usually universities that have vet schools would offer at least a general animal science course of study. That's what I went for, although I had limited poultry classes. If chickens are what you know you want to learn about, I'd look for Poultry Science programs.

Also you can check with your local cooperative extension office for training/information courses. Good luck!

3. Promiselandfarm

Promiselandfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Georgia has a really good agricultural program which has the poultry program. Do a search on which colleges have those programs. If you want to move to KY check the colleges there and see.

4. chickensrfun

chickensrfun New Egg

Sep 21, 2008
    henderson
    hi, i want 2 b a chicken farmer 2 lol message me if u get any good tips lol

Last edited: Sep 28, 2008
  5. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Auburn has a really good Ag program as well as a great vet school. Perhaps you could combine the two? I hear farming can be hit or miss. Being a country vet could be really cool AND you could still farm on top of it.
    (Plus Auburn is a fine place to go to school! War Eagle!!)
    [​IMG]

6. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    University of Florida has an Animal Sciences major w/ a specialization in Poultry Medicine.

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'd go work on a chicken farm for a summer and see if you really like it first.

8. Koopin

Koopin Wish Granted

Sep 20, 2008
    Usa
    Quote:I do like chicken farming, I had chickens, raised them changed there cages fed them, its one of the most peaceful jobs ever

9. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:I do like chicken farming, I had chickens, raised them changed there cages fed them, its one of the most peaceful jobs ever

Be aware that being a commercial chicken farmer is not very much at all like having some personal chickens... totally different thing.

Just sayin',

Pat

10. lleighmay

lleighmay Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Virginia Tech (Blacksburg VA) has an excellent Poultry Science program. Good luck to you with your plans! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by