How do I best acclimate my indoors chicks to the hot 100+ phoenix temps in June?

Tarcyw

In the Brooder
Apr 30, 2020
Our chicks are currently living in my house in their brood pens. I have 6 that are three weeks old in one pen and 4 that are several days old in another. I’m wondering how best to acclimate them to the hot temperature when it’s time to move them to their coop and run. I’ve done a lot of research on ways to keep them cool in the summer here, we’ll have ice water in insulated water coolers, shade, misters, lots of cool water available But I’m worried about how to transition them from the house to the yard. The temps are hot here already and a month from now it will be terrible. Any ideas on how I can best acclimate them when they time comes? Thank you!

Chicks need high temperatures. I don’t see a problem with temperatures around 100 (37C) . Provide enough shade/ fresh cool water ( as with chickens ) is probably enough. But I have no experience with chicks over 100+ :caf. Waiting for answers too.

I’ve had the same problem before, much hotter outside than inside. I start by taking them out early AM when it’s as cool as it’s going to be and keeping an eye on them for any heat stress. I don’t leave them all day for the first few days, and I’m sure to provide shade, plain water and a separate container with electrolytes. If it’s warm enough I start doing this when they are a week old and often they are ready to stay out all day within a few days. I keep bringing them in at night if it will cool off too much because I don’t have power to the coop for a heat source.

I think they will be fine. Sounds like you have planned ahead as much as you can. Give them some shade.
What breeds did you get? There are heat hardy birds as well as winter hardy birds.
We did research heat hardy birds. We have three Easter Eggers, a Wayondotte, golden sex-link, mosaic/cinnamon queen, 2 silkies, a bantam half silkie-half mystery, and a wellsummer.

Chicks need high temperatures. I don’t see a problem with temperatures around 100 (37C) . Provide enough shade/ fresh cool water ( as with chickens ) is probably enough. But I have no experience with chicks over 100+ :caf. Waiting for answers too.
Right, they are inside with a heat source right now. I’m concerned about when they are ready to transfer outside in a month and go from the cool inside to the hot outside.

If you're concerned about the heat, maybe there is a way to provide an oscillating stand fan? Also make sure their coop and run are well ventilated. And as you said, plenty of fresh, cool water. In addition, a friend of mine who has chickens/chicks says that she freezes different berries (blueberries, strawberries,etc) and drops those into their water as a special cool treat that keeps the water cooler longer. Keep us updated on how they're doing!

The only thing I can contribute is that you can see heat stroke if you’re checking in on them regularly. I’ve only had one bout with heat stroke. I probably reacted in a bad way, but I dunked her in a tub of water. It saved her life but she never forgave me!!!! Lol. That darn bird still doesn’t trust me.:lau

If you're concerned about the heat, maybe there is a way to provide an oscillating stand fan? Also make sure their coop and run are well ventilated. And as you said, plenty of fresh, cool water. In addition, a friend of mine who has chickens/chicks says that she freezes different berries (blueberries, strawberries,etc) and drops those into their water as a special cool treat that keeps the water cooler longer. Keep us updated on how they're doing!
Yes, I’ve seen some ideas like that on Pinterest! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom