How do I best "Tame" My Chicks?

chickenlovefever

Songster
8 Years
Jul 19, 2011
I have an Americauna Roo, And Barred Rock, RIR, 1 americauna hen and 2 others that Idk what they are. I got an incubator and successfully hatched 9 out of 12 chicks, and then this second batch (Still in the process of hatching) Is currently 17 out of 22. I want chickens that I can simply walk in the cage and pick up, chickens that trust me. Now, My adult chickens don't let you touch them (Except for this one RIR hen) And my first batch of chicks, where once you stick your finger through their door, they all flee in terror, mowing each other over. I would hold them alot as babies, but I don't know what i could have done wrong. Now my firned on the other hand has hatched around 60 some chickens and you can run at them and growl and bark and just SCREAM and they don't budge. At all. You can pick them up and throw them around repeatedly without them budging, and they are all hybrids as mine are. Now, Before i ruin this second batch, can someone please help me as to tell me how to correctly tame my chicks to were they trust humans?

This may be a busy board, but you waited all of NINE MINUTES before getting impatient. Wait, people will respond.

Anyway, now that I said that, I'll answer your question. I use food to tame the chicks. Nothing gets them comfortable with you than treats! Mealworms are a huge favorite. I found oatmeal is the key to hearts of my chicks. Just about when their feeder runs out for the day (early evening) I whip up some oatmeal for them. I then open up their brooder, sit down, and I put the oatmeal right next to me. As they eat I'll gently pet or hold them. Took a few days for them to calm down, now they are cool with it and come over even without oatmeal as a lure.

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

As chicks, we used to hold them all the time. Thats the best way to get them to be used to you. You should hold them and play with them through out the day. My BR is super nice. When it was real little, that was the chick we payed most attention to. Next time, we have to spend an equal amount of time with all of them. My BR is still the nicest one. I don't know what could have went wrong with yours though. I really don't think its anything you did. They all just develop their own personalitys. But this is my first time with chickens, and I have 4 of them. 2 golden buffs (who are hard to just pick up) and 1 dominique (pretty nice), and 1 barred plymouth rock (super nice). And an answer to the question... - Try giving them mealworms. My chickens LOVE the alive ones. Good luck!

Last edited:
Quote:
Oh I'm sorry
tongue.png
I do get a bit impatient, and I was kind of in a slight rush (To get chicken feed) and I just got a bit impatient. I am little new round here, anyways. But thankyou, both,I will try those techniques.

Last edited:
We spent a lot of time with our gals when they were young. I started dipping my fingers in their feed when they were only a couple days old, at first they were a little shy, but once they realized "the hand" was there to offer food, they all joined in. Today, 2 yrs later our gals still go crazy when they hear me or see me coming. They try to come in the house and come running when I call. Time and patience is the key. Enjoy

I sit with mine, and talk to them, they usually all come running now when they see me. The younger ones I have I hold as much as possible and give them treats...
The older ones, 16 weeks now, only a couple of them let me scoop them up and hold them...they honk and chuckle at me!
It takes time, and "patience" and some times they just don't want anything to do with you but food!

As the others have said, food is the key. Also just being near them without touching them helps. Be a human bird feeder, hands full of food extended and not moving. It just shows them that just because a person is close doesn't mean they're gonna get snatched up. You can still win your first batch over. Mealworms and Superworms are a great way to win over even grown chickens who run at the sight of you.

Back
Top Bottom