How do I bond with 1 week old chicks?

sacchicken931

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 29, 2009
Sacramento
I'm trying to get the chicks used to me. I sit next to the bathtub I have them in. When I pick one up they screech, the other ones go silent and run to the other side of the tub away from me. The one I'm holding seems to settle down a little bit, maybe after she realizes I'm not going to eat her, but are there other things I can do? I got them 1 week old. Is it too late?

My experience is that chicks at around 2 weeks go threw a stage where they think every thing is going to eat them. I got mine as day olds everything was fine then every time the door opened they would run around like they were scared to death. They do get past that. I compare it to the terrible 2's in a child. Keep doing what you are doing this will pass. Keep in mind thats why they are called chickens. My older birds do not like my sun glasses and my purse. They see me every day but only when I leave do I put this on-it totally freaked them..sooooo!
old.gif

Mine were gotten as day old chicks! They are now 20 weeks old and most are laying! I have a few that follow me all the time and love to be held and touched! Time and patience is all you need! Keep holding them and talk to your birds this helps! Also feed them treats from your hand! One is a confirmed Rooster and he now scares me so hes gone this weekend one way or the other! One of our reds we started to think was a roo is sitting on a nest hoping it lays so I get to keep it too!

Superglue!

wink.png

OK, so not really, just keep spending time with them
smile.png
Later start bringing them treats. Mine, at 10 weeks, run to me when I come in because they think they're going to get something.

I give my chicks lots of things including bread. As soon as they are given anything besides Starter Crumbles my baby chicks are given free choice chick grit and they choose it with pleasure, Their tiny gizzards are at optimum function at an early age. I have tried yogurt but they didn't eat it. They went up and tested it but that was as far as it went. Maybe if I had mixed it with their crumbles. My hens love it.

Here is the link to BYC Chicken Treat Chart.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-Treats_Chart

Don't worry about it. Mine would cautiously take starter crumbles from my hand, but nothing else until almost 3 weeks. (Acted just like you describe.) At about 3 weeks, they started taking small bits of bread from my hand. Now, a week later, most will come to greet me and are much less skittish. Some will even let me pet them without running away. I see improvement every day.

Jerry

My 5 day old BRs will all crowd around my hand and peck at it whether I have starter in my hand or not and just basically snoop. I think the key thing is when i put my hand in I come down the side away from the chicks and let them come to me I reach in slowly and not just reach right down at them.

feed them pieces of corn from the chick starter out your hand and treats and let them come to your hands without picking them up,

i did that with my chicks that were raised by broodies and now they follow me everywhere

I think when chicks see something moving around above their heads, they think it's a hawk or something dangerous, so just keep your hand at chick level. Also, chicks don't like being picked up in general, but I believe they get used to it. I'm new to chickens, but that's what I found out.

Back
Top Bottom