How do I build a cheap coop?

Bama Chicken

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 30, 2013
Talladega, Al
I just recently joined BYC but I had been using this site for info and ideas along with other sights a long time before I got my chickens. Several say that they built their coops and runs for $200 or less I have found that this is extremely difficult. I as you can see I used about 80% repurposed materials and I have over $200 in mine so far and its not painted on the outside yet. I have been watching freecycle, and craigslist to pick up anything free or reasonably priced. I've been working on my coop and run for months here and there when i could but maybe i was impatient. Anyone else feel the same about this? How DO they do it?

Greetings, Bama Chicken, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Happy you joined us! Lots of folks on BYC have built some great coops using recycled/re-purposed materials. Might take some ingenuity and building savvy, but some great coops have been built from old pallets, old playhouses - you name it. Here's a thread with some ideas. Also, type 'recycled' or 'cheap coop' into the BYC search bar - you'll get a lot of hits. Good luck to you!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/184580/recycling-materials-to-build-your-coop

Yeah, I've been doing the same thing. My husband and I have been stalking and haunting FreeCycle and Craig's List, and so far we've been able to gather up materials such as picket fences, 2 old waterbed frames (REALLY sturdy stuff! Looking forward to using it), though what I'm trying to look for are pallets to help with a raised floor (I've seen many other BYCers do this and I love the concept, and some even tear them apart and use them for the framing of the coop, as redsoxs mentioned) and I've missed out on several postings, sadly. I'd also look out for old sheds, large dog houses, or kid's play houses, like redsoxs said. You never know what you can use! People have also used old kitchen cabinets for nesting boxes, storage, and whatnot in their homemade coops.

All I can council is patience and alertness with the FreeCycle/Craig's List method. I've been at it, consistently, for 3 weeks and so far so good on acquired materials. No, it's not instant gratification nor meeting immediate needs if you have chickens on the way, in the incubator, or growing up faster than you can keep up with. My current plan is to build my coop, THEN get my chickens, but this is what I have to do in order to get closer to my dream flock <3 Wish you the best of luck!

2 4x4s, 16 2x2s, 4 hardy siding boards, and 2 clear corrigated roofing panels. My coop costs me just under 200 dollars.

I can fit 8 free milk crates inside comfortably, and roost bars.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom