How do I build breeder pens?

awesomefowl

Argues with Goats
9 Years
Jun 5, 2010
raxacoricofallapatorious
Hello,
I would like to start a chicken breeding buisness. (I am aware I won't make much money!) But I need a plan to build separated, safe, spacious pens for the different breeds I wish to get. Does anybody have any advice/plans/links/photos to help me? I also don't want to spend 1 million dollars.

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My breed list:
Seramas
(so far)

Well, first you have to decide a few things. 1. Do you want fully indoors to prevent sun bleaching, or outdoor runs that are divided. 2. Standards or bantams? Both? 3. On the ground or build on legs/stands? 4. Wire or solid floor? Once you let me know these I will sketch something
big_smile.png

I recently purchased some Delawares and built them a seperate 'home'. I think I spent only $40, but then again it was only 3x4 and has yet to be painted. I'm not sure where you plan on placing your coop, but for mine I just made the floor joist system from treated lumber and set that directly on the ground (you may want to set it on patio blocks.). I then did an overhang style roof, so I only had to buy lumber for two walls.
NOTE: -I already had the shingles
And I haven't finished the outside. I only used 2x4 for floor joist (Not recommended if you're going to walk in it.)

You should still be able to build a 10 x 10 coop for maybe under $240.

I have two breeding pens on a cement slab. I let one group or the other out every other day to free range a couple of hours before sunset.

The pens are 4X10 X 4.5ft high with a roost on one side going length wise and one in the middle going spanning the width. I have three nest boxes on the opposite side of the roost on one end that I can get to from the outside. They fit a roo and 4-5 hens nicely.

I have marans in one pen and polish mixes in the other. My big coop and run are for the W/BW Ameraucanas.

Quote:
Any chance you can share some pictures for us?! purty pwease?
big_smile.png

(I gotta get some built too, so I'm lookin for ideas as well!)

Back
Top Bottom