How do I build Windows?

Hawkeye95

Songster
8 Years
Jun 18, 2011
Oklahoma City area
My Coop
My Coop
Okay, so I've been searching on craigslist and freeCycle and am not finding windows. (at least, not cheap ones- I've seen plenty of new ones listed) I'm at the beginning stages of building, so I have some time, but I am worried, because I will be framing soon! I know what size I would ideally like.. has anyone built their own windows? Would you just build a frame and then throw in plexi or glass? I'm still hoping I come across something, but not holding out much hope and if I build them myself, they will be exactly the size and shape I want them. So... how do you build a window and what did you use???? I'm planning on putting it on hinges and propping it open.

Last edited:
I built all my own windows for my coop. I don't have access to any pics here at work but let me describe.

I work for a fabrication shop so we always have 1/2" double paned insulated glass laying around, (just like house windows).

I used two pieces 1/2" OSB board and cut to 1 1/2" bigger then glass all way around, then cut a hole out of the middle that was 1" smaller then glass. Then I cut 1 1/2" strips to put in the middle of the "sandwich" and glued and screwed it all together in the edges.

WOW that is confusing, sorry.

Picture a piece of OSB or ply laying flat that is larger then glass with an oval hole cut in it that is smaller then glass. Then lay glass on that, and fill from edge of glass to edge of bottom sheet of OSB or ply. And on top of that is and exact copy of the bottom sheet on top. all glued and screwed together.

I'll try to get some pics when I get home.

I just hinged my to open up, it makes its own little awning when part way opened.

Sorry if I confused you more...LOL...

TNT

I have built single pane windows before. I basically did it like you would repair a broken single pane window. You can make the frame, route out the lip, put your glass in then use glazing compound and glazing points.

I made windows using plexi-glass,, however caused coop to get too hot here in Florida . I ended up removing the plexi-glass and replaced with hardware cloth and built a hinged window cover for bad weather. the cover hinged at the top and supported with a chain for adjustability . Can be fully closed, fully open or any where in between.

I put a plexiglass window in my clean out door. I simply cut a whole inn the plywood 1/4 inch bigger on top and bottom. Then I screwed 1x2s in on one side partially overlapping the opening. Then I placed the window into the whole and screwed 1x2s on the back side, framing it in. Finally I used clear window and door caulk to seal the outside of the window and not allow it to slide around. Pretty easy.

Good luck!

Thank you all soooo much!! Okay, all of that gives me great ideas!! I'm going to check my Habitat Restore tomorrow and if there's nothing that will work (or cheap enough) looks like I'll be making my own according to your descriptions!
smile.png
I do want to hinge it at the top and prop it open.

Back
Top Bottom