How do I Butcher My Geese?

I really DON'T want these geese dead. I wish we could all live happily ever after. I raised them from little fluffy chicks, and they coo at me and follow me everywhere....

But then they bite me and it hurts like you can't believe. And they bite my dwarf goats, and I can't imagine how it hurts them. Feeding the chickens, turkeys, and goats is HORRIBLE and I dread it, no matter how I want to take care of them.

Nobody else can see the other animals at all or they will be attacked...in fact, most people won't even leave their car when they come to our house for fear of the geese. Not that it stops the geese from pecking their CAR instead!

I could post an ad on CraigsList, but if anyone asks me why I want to get rid of my geese, I'd have to tell them...and who would want them after that?? I live in a very Appalachian area and people don't think much, or take care of, their animals. I was going to re-home a rooster until I found out that this individual's previous rooster only had one eye and walked around on stumps because it's feet had been lost to frost bite...I believe it's more humane to kill an animal than to put it into a situation like that.

We've said that we were going to kill these geese for years, but we've never been able to do it because we love them. Will we be able to do it this weekend as planned???? I guess it remains to be seen. But, either way....it has nothing to do with WANTING them dead.

hugs.gif

Okay you don't want them dead and you had planned on eating them anyway. But it wouldn't hurt to put them on craigslist. Just to see if anyone responds. You can be clear about their temperament in the ad. There are a lot of different people out there. I think the fact that the SPCA exists is proof of that. Not that you should give your geese to an SPCA but sometimes people surrender an animal because they can no longer deal with it. But then sometimes that animal becomes the world to someone else. You'd be surprised, you might find a person that may want geese like that. Maybe there is someone in your area that gets a lot of solicitors and they wouldn't mind having geese they could sic or someone.

But these geese are yours to do what you will and in most people's eyes they are food before pet so at least they are serving a purpose. I'd actually like to try goose one of these days. Or have an old fashioned christmas/holiday dinner with goose. Maybe you could do this if you do end up processing this.

Who are you to judge what this person is doing?
The odds of finding these geese a good home is miniscule.
Nobody wants to buy mean, unruly geese.
She's doing the right thing and you should just back off.

while we are on the subject, does anyone know how to "cure" the goose down after it is pulled out? The feathers are sooo soft I wondered how to make a"down" pillow. Dry the quills in the sun or cut all the quills off real short? After writing that I'm wondering if I would even want the pillow from a pet bird that died. Hope mine stay sweet.

It's done like a duck, which is done like a chicken. Go to the meat birds area, and Frugal has a sticky posted at the top, an how-to with photos. read it carefully, and follow the steps. Only thing different beyond size is going to be removing the oil gland at the tail. If you still don't want to dispatch them yourselves, find out where you get a hunting liscense in your area, call them and ask who'll clean geese brought in.

http://www.1800hocking.com/whattodo/hunting_in_the_hocking_hills

Last edited:
I would never re-home a nasty animal. I applaud your decision to do what is right. Not only are you removing a potentially dangerous animal, you are making its death a useful death. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom