How do I catch a loose Pullet??!!

KahKaDoodleDo22

Songster
May 21, 2019
Washington
I just got a new Easteregger, she is mixed with Welsummer and is not very fond of humans. I added her to the flock and she flew over the 8’ fence, pretty much right away. The enclosure is about 38’x28’ so it’s decent size. We’re about to put a roof on but I didn’t think she’d do that. Clearly in distress from the disruption. She has been hiding in the sticker bushes for the last 3 days/nights and I have no chance at catching her. She will come out to forage next to the rest of the 45 other birds inside the pen but runs as soon as she hears a human. :(

anyone have advice on how I can catch her?? Live trap? What do I use for bait? Will she come back eventually?

Any advice welcome.

Getting her at night will be best, if at all possible. You, armored against those bushes, and a small flashlight, maybe a net.
Many of my birds can get over an eight foot wall if they are motivated enough, as she was. Can you cover your run soonest, and then toll her in with food, and shut the door. If she can't fly out, you have her.
Good luck, hope you can get her before some predator does.
Mary

Getting her at night will be best, if at all possible. You, armored against those bushes, and a small flashlight, maybe a net.
Many of my birds can get over an eight foot wall if they are motivated enough, as she was. Can you cover your run soonest, and then toll her in with food, and shut the door. If she can't fly out, you have her.
Good luck, hope you can get her before some predator does.
Mary
Yeah thanks! The tough part is she didn’t get to bond with the flock yet.

One bird alone is the hardest to integrate into a flock, it will take time.
Mary
I added two from the same hatch, about 17weeks old to some older hens. Currently the one is still in with the rest, doing pretty good. Getting picked on by one hen but the rooster has accepted her. I was hoping she would be a comfort to the other hen but we will just see I guess.

also hoping someone had some magic chicken spell I could use but looks like letting the flock free range during the day is my best bet to hopefully integrate her into the group

Back
Top Bottom