how do I catch this stupid coon!?!

HillCountryMomma

Songster
11 Years
Mar 16, 2008
I guess the biggest problem is that the coon isn't stupid. Too darn smart actually.

I've had the traps out for several nights now and still haven't caught the big coon that's been killing my hens (haven't lost any more hens either though, they've all agreed to settle into the coop and stay safe at night. Even my flock of young replacement pullets. Yea!).

This morning I had a cat in one trap (again, stupid cats) and nothing in the other. The coon had dug under the trap and gotten every bit of bait I put out (marshmallows and catfood).

So, I'm going to try to get all my cats locked up (hard to do with outdoor barn cats). Gonna put a piece of plywood under the traps so they can't be dug under.

Will rebait with marshmallows and catfood since that seemed to be a winner.

Any other ideas/tips?

Liz

put something heavy on the plywood or trap so that it won't move the plywood from under the trap. They have brain and braun, so don't take them lightly
big_smile.png

I just leave out the remaining chicken feed and leave a spot light out in that area at night. I aim my game cam at the area to see what time the raccoon tends to stop by each night. Then on the weekend I will make sure I'm awake at the prescribed times with my .22 handy.

As soon as senor raccoon shows up in the middle of the night...blam!!!
th.gif

I was rushed by a female raccoon in my own feed room a few years back- they WILL bite...

They're very hard to trap and sometimes they can get OUT by figuring the configuration of springs/latches. Our neighbor shot a problem raccoon a few days back by waiting for it in his garage, the coon was taking dog food.

I too have a cats that end up in the trap, so I feel for ya there. I have used grape jelly on a biscuit with success. My cats don't find them near as appealing as the coons. Although one afternoon it was way too tempting for one of my ducks. Ooops, LOL.

My trap is zip tied to a piece of plywood. I don't have to worry about any thing digging under. I use a few cement blocks to stabilize the entire thing.

Good luck
Jul

Tie something shiny in the trap. Maybe even a couple things. Coons can't resist shiny objects and will try to get it at all cost! If it is tied in the trap then he won't be able to get it out unless he goes in to get it. Curiosity and greed will win in the end and you'll have your coon! Good luck!

If it were me, I would try canned cat food. Don't open the can all the way, just put several holes in it. They are not going to pull the whole can through the cage, but they can still smell it. Maybe even tie the can to the back of the cage, so when they go into the cage, they have to fidget with the can instead of just grab and go.

If you try marshmellows again, maybe you can hang them in a way that they can't be reached from the bottom of the trap?

-Kim

Back
Top Bottom