How do I change my broodies mind about her nest spot?

NooNoo

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 23, 2012
Hiya all, hope all the Storm folks & flocks are okay !
I have a Broody Buff that has been sitting in a plant pot in the blazing sun for about 2 weeks already! She insists on sitting in the old pot, have added sawdust for her, used to lay her eggs there, but has since stopped...trying to hatch her sawdust now...tried the moving pot, put bricks in her pot, she just lay next to it , dunk in water, taking off etc she is determined and keeps going back ! Every evening we have to remove her to lock away in the run for safety, first thing in the morning she races to her "babies' ! Tried to move the pot in the evening and put it in the run with her, didn't work, she raced back to its previous spot and lay there !
Question for the OT's...if she wants chicks maybe I can do, BUT how do I try get her to "move" nest to a safer sheltered spot? I can't leave her there to raise chicks so how on earth do I get her to move? I even tried moving her to a nesting box less frequently used, that is quieter, popped eggs under her from some friends, it lasted about a minute at most and she was back with her sawdust !!
I now have 5 broodies, so need to try break the others, because clearly Beatrix (Potter) refuses ! Any suggestions will be appreciated .

Just a thought, but you could try putting the pot in her run and putting a few of her eggs in it, to try to encourage her to lay in the run.

Thanx flockoffour for your input, sorry haven't had time to reply until now (here it is summer so we are very busy outdoors). I had previously tried to move her pot into the run with no success so this time I added 2 eggs to see if I could coax her to stay there. She seemed interested and stayed for a few hrs then hopped off, raced around the yard clucking madly and went straight back to the spot her pot used to be ! Not being one to give up easily, I spent the day watching her and kept taking her back to the pot in the run, she got the message and was rewarded by me replacing the temp. eggs with 6 lovely little future peeps that are due to hatch this weekend ! She has been very protective and eventhough I marked her eggs, I didn't need to coz No one gets near to "accidently" leave an egg there !! Once she has her little peeps time will tell if she reverts to laying in the pot or not...by the way how long after the chicks hatch will mamma start laying again?

Back
Top Bottom