How do I check if chickens are allowed?

It all depends on location, I'm unincorporated and zoned 'rural estate' essentially agricultural with a few limits like no airport or runway on my property and I can only have something like 999 cows, not 1000
wink.png
There there plenty of ordinances but most don't apply to my zoning...

With that said and in regards to nuisances, there is actually clauses in the county codes that exempts my zoning from many common nuisances that apply in most other areas... For example I'm exempt from noise violations 24/7 if it relates to agriculture reasons, meaning my roosters can crow 24/7 legally... I can also shoot guns legally on my property, zoom around on ATVs, have huge bonfires, and I don't have to actually maintain and cut my lawn and what not if I choose to, all things that apparently really irk the people across the street that are not only incorporated but have HOA regulations that have called the police on me a few times with the police just showing up and saying "Yep, no law broken have a nice day..."
Now that's pretty neat! Similar to your case, when we used to live in PA we were the last house in a section of older homes with some acreage and the people right behind us were in a new HOA subdivision. I think they loathed me because I could do pretty much whatever I wanted, and I was very involved in trapping at the time. They never called the law on me or anything but I know they loved seeing all the coon and fox pelts hanging on stretchers from my back porch, and also the smell of me making lures and boiling traps in the yard. No sir, I wouldn't fare too well in a civilized neighborhood. I didn't try to irritate them on purpose but I just gotta be me.

I found out by asking at the local feed store. I'm not sure about my subdivision. I have a six foot high fence and my house is at the end of the street with the side street being the county line. The coop won't be visible so I'm hoping for the best! If you have a homeowners association you should be able to get by laws from one of the officers, probably the secretary.

Sometimes you can get specifically authorized permits to keep livestock if you have enough space and are far enough away from neighbors. The easiest way to get a permit is to say that the chickens are a kid's 4H project, if you have kids.

Back
Top Bottom