How do I clean a shrink wrapped chick?

dwegg

Songster
11 Years
Nov 10, 2009
Grant Park, Atlanta, GA
Ok so now my last two to hatch got shrink wrapped but are doing ok and starting to get on their feet now but they have hard goo ALL over them.

How do I safely clean it off? When should I try to clean it? Or let them rest and get stronger first?

I have re-wet them with warm water and an eye dropper and put them on a warm wet cloth in the bator ( but they keep moving around off it!)...the humidity is up at 85% ... Is that too high for them? Can they breath ok with that high humidity?
44332_chick.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks..I followed some directions from on here after I researched it. Took them out and washed them in a bowl of warm water with a toothbrush and got a lot off.

I am letting them rest tonight now and will see in the morning. They are all wet and warm back in the bator and seem to be doing just fine.

Happy me! Thanks...

Last hatch I had the same issue but the goo didn't want to come off. I felt that trying was doing more harm then good so I left it alone, in a week or so she had grown enough to break it up and it fell off her. Chickens have lived a long time without us 'helping' them, so I figured she could live with it. The other chicks were more interested in her feet then the dried goo so they didn't peck at her.
pop.gif

Thanks for the reassurance...their poor little heads are still matted but at least they can move around and poop, ect. They are quite fluffy now but they look like they are wearing a helmet. Glad to know it will fall off with a little time.
44332_2.jpg

44332_3.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom