how do i correct this?

Quote:
about 12 or 1 this afternoon.

I'd give it at least till morning and see if she is getting better. Dip her beak in a very small amount of water and see if she seems to drink a little.

105_2108.jpg
105_2107.jpg

i hope these are good enough. but the legs are flat on the floor straight out in front. there is no obvious pain or injury. nothing looks weird or anything.

I hate to be the bubble burster but I had a chick that had the same problem. We had to cull the chick because it had a deformity like your chick might have. Our chick could not get to the water or food so it would've staved to death. So but I thought I should put that out there even though you did not want to hear it.
Have a nice day.
M To The Maxx

Last edited:
How long was she (assuming here that it's not a Rooster) stuck in her shell, how far did she break out on her own? If she doesn't seem distressed or in pain I would bet she will be OK. The ones I've hatched so far have been very wobbly and uncoordinated for about the first day, the one I "helped" out of the shell took IIRC at least a couple days to get up and act right and was the runt for about two or three weeks.

Quote:
How long did you wait? was it an obvious deformity like the body was definately out of whack or the chick was just in an odd position?

it was a bit more than a pip but not like 1/4 zip maybe i dont know. stayed that way for 24 hours or so. last one that did that died on us. it got shrinkwrapped due to my own inability to remember to fill ALL of the water trays in the bator. im much more cautious from here on. even if it needs assistance thru out its life its ok with me. if i can fix it i will. but i wont put it down unless its suffering from pain or some thing i cant fix.

Quote:
How long did you wait? was it an obvious deformity like the body was definately out of whack or the chick was just in an odd position?

We waited about a week and a half. It was an obvious deformity.

I had one hatch exactly like that last week. I splinted the legs together and then wrapped a band aid across the back of the chick and pulled the legs back where they should have been and stuck them in place. I hope that makes some since, because it worked great after only a 24 hour period and she runs around just like all the others now. I did do it as soon as she came out of the incubator.

Quote:

We waited about a week and a half. It was an obvious deformity.

Oh, the one I had to "peel" came out Ok, I hope this is the case here.

I would also like to say that I know I only have limited posts here on BYC I have been lurking and reading for a while. My wife made a lot of posts when we began this whole "science project" as she calls it. I have learned a lot from the people here. I hatched out only one batch earlier this year and out of the eight eggs only half were fertile and the one hen was the one I had to help hatch and is doing great, the other three were roo's. We fattened the three roo's up and they were tasty. I had built an incubator and did not want to try to hatch too many on the first try. So after the 1st I plan to incubate a full batch since the incubator worked very well, that way I only have to keep them in the house long enough to get their feathers and it will be warm enought to introduce them to the coop.(don't wanna stink the house up too much)

I just wanted to offer the OP some hope, if this chick is only hours old give it some time and it may be on its feet tomorrow. I never thought mine was going to make it the way it looked the first couple days. It's weird, I hunt, fish and do eat my chickens but ya gotta love the little tiny ones and I'm rooting for her.

Back
Top Bottom