How do I cut a roosters spur?

Our Chantie roosters have VERY tough spurs, and we've resorted to a Dremel to cut them. If you can use a nail trimmer, or whatever, that's fine too.
Mary

My rooster would stand still for that. He would not allow me to cut or trim his toenails. He’s a large Brahma and while he is not at all aggressive for anything I don’t think he’d let me catch him for that. Although I’d like to trim them because I think it’s tearing up the hens.

No chicken is interested in having a nail trim! Some need it though, and some older roosters need thier spurs trimmed too.
If possible, get out there at night while they are roosting, preferably with an assistant and a head lamp. easiest off the roosts, in darkness.
Our big rooster is a day time project, because of the dremel. He is not pleased...
Mary

No chicken is interested in having a nail trim! Some need it though, and some older roosters need thier spurs trimmed too.
If possible, get out there at night while they are roosting, preferably with an assistant and a head lamp. easiest off the roosts, in darkness.
Our big rooster is a day time project, because of the dremel. He is not pleased...
Mary
Night isn’t great for me. He hates when I touch him at night on the roost. Hell bite. He’s acually been letting me pick him up no problem lately so I’m sure we will lose this trust after the trim😭

Back
Top Bottom