How do I deal with picky eaters?

Oldegarlicshnapp

Songster
May 11, 2020
My flock will refuse to eat whatever is not appealing. For example, salad is a no go. I always have to be creative with sneaking in vegetables into their feed.
I had one roo that ate whatever I gave him and encouraged the others to do so. Now I’m not sure what to do.

Salad is not as healthy for chickens as it is for humans 😋

If they get picky about real chicken feed, I would say to out stubborn them. But treats don't matter.

Treats deviate the nutrition they NEED from their feed ... Should never be more than 10% but I've learned they really don't need "treats". @5 Points Wingfeather is right, dried mealworms are a good sparingly given treat expecially when they molt because of the extra protein that helps the new feather growth.

Some believe in treats & table scrapes but I've learned the hard way not always good. Years ago I stopped "healthy" treats all together, my girls were not putting on weight and worms weren't the issue. It was recommended I stop treats ... Only feed, they put on weight and looked happier. Still toss a handful of MW at close up.

During the summer I'll hang an apple or partial small cabbage for extra hydration. I have some strawberry plants for them but the slugs have been enjoying them. I have some Kale growing and will toss 3 leaves in someday, although the slugs took care of them too. Any ideas for slugs? I toss slug bait but that never stopped the slugs. I don't feed my girls slugs as we have Rat Worm Lung rampant here.

During the summer I'll hang an apple or partial small cabbage for extra hydration. I have some strawberry plants for them but the slugs have been enjoying them. I have some Kale growing and will toss 3 leaves in someday, although the slugs took care of them too. Any ideas for slugs? I toss slug bait but that never stopped the slugs. I don't feed my girls slugs as we have Rat Worm Lung rampant here.

I'm not sure if they have it for slugs yet but there are new products out for hornworms and some other critters, each with a specific bacteria that targets them but doesn't hurt anything else.
Otherwise... salt? Like a salt strip using tape they would have to slide across?

Back
Top Bottom