How do I decide???

WyattsMom71

Chirping
Mar 24, 2018
Wisconsin
So, I *thought* I knew what breeds I wanted to start my flock with.....but as I keep reading and learning, I want more and more!!! How does anyone decide one just one or two breeds to get started? I'm going to end up with a hundred chickens at this rate!

I made a list of my top choice breeds and started looking for them.

I also looked at what breeds were available locally, and researched those. Availability factored into breed selection for me. I was not going to search out something super rare and drive halfway across the country for it.

I had decided I wanted to buy chickens locally and not have them shipped to me as day olds, so when some of my top choice breeds became available locally I brought those home.

Even if you are looking at ordering from a hatchery, not all breeds will be available on the same date, so for example if wyandottes are one of your top choices, I'd make my other selections from the breeds that are available from the same ship/hatch date as the wyandottes. When you are overwhelmed and would be happy with a lot of different chickens, it kinda makes it easier because you are bound to find some of them.

I made a list of my top choice breeds and started looking for them.

I also looked at what breeds were available locally, and researched those. Availability factored into breed selection for me. I was not going to search out something super rare and drive halfway across the country for it.

I had decided I wanted to buy chickens locally and not have them shipped to me as day olds, so when some of my top choice breeds became available locally I brought those home.

Even if you are looking at ordering from a hatchery, not all breeds will be available on the same date, so for example if wyandottes are one of your top choices, I'd make my other selections from the breeds that are available from the same ship/hatch date as the wyandottes. When you are overwhelmed and would be happy with a lot of different chickens, it kinda makes it easier because you are bound to find some of them.

Thats what I am doing, and I really am lucky that I found a good selection available in my area! My brooder is all set up, and I am just waiting for a current list of what is available. I watched about 30 wyandotte chicks sell in one day at the TSC store I work at, and was heartbroken that I missed them. Sigh.

Sometimes chicks go quick. If you have a huge list of breeds you are open to, you will find a combo that works for you and you won't be disappointed if one is not available because you have a huge list of other options to fill the spot. Keep an open mind too. I ended up with one because of its personality when I went to pick out pullets once, the farmer assured me it was a cold hardy laying breed (my main requirement) so I trusted her knowledge. I ended up with one that grew up to be something different than it was supposed to be, but she fit in so well with my flock, I can't complain. One of my first chickens that was my top choice breed/color didn't survive, and while I was initially pretty upset, when I got a replacement chicken, I got to try out another breed from my lengthy list.

Boy, I guess the Speckled Sussex DO go quick in my area. Sigh. I'm now thinking maybe I should just wait and see what we get in at work this week and *hope* they dont all sell. I really wanted to start with about 8 and ordering means I have to do at least 10, and only one breed.

Boy, I guess the Speckled Sussex DO go quick in my area. Sigh. I'm now thinking maybe I should just wait and see what we get in at work this week and *hope* they dont all sell. I really wanted to start with about 8 and ordering means I have to do at least 10, and only one breed.
Mypetchicken is a pretty good hatchery that I always order from, And they allow mixed orders, No extra charge, So you wouldn't have to get just one breed. Although in order to avoid the small order fee you would have to buy 15+ chicks. Unless you're willing to pay a small order fee you could either split the order with someone or sell the ones you don't need?
https://www.mypetchicken.com/?gclid...QG5aRVAZ4rK9222hiNbQ_sB0BTxr6U0QaApc_EALw_wcB

Mypetchicken is a pretty good hatchery that I always order from, And they allow mixed orders, No extra charge, So you wouldn't have to get just one breed. Although in order to avoid the small order fee you would have to buy 15+ chicks. Unless you're willing to pay a small order fee you could either split the order with someone or sell the ones you don't need?
https://www.mypetchicken.com/?gclid...QG5aRVAZ4rK9222hiNbQ_sB0BTxr6U0QaApc_EALw_wcB

Thanks! I dont know which hatcheries are good, so a reference is helpful! If I cant get anything this week at work, I will definitely look into that. A small order fee probably is less than the gas to drive 2+ hours one way!

Back
Top Bottom