How do I deep clean my coop?

Pics

black_cat

♥♥Lover of Leghorns♥♥
May 21, 2020
Connecticut
I have a 6x4 coop that is raised off the ground. It is made of wood, and I use shavings for beddings. I currently have a mite issue, and it's also getting to the time of year where I should deep clean. I get that I take all the shavings out and was the linoleum that we put on the floor, but what else? Spray with bleach? Hose everything down? How do I clean it? If there's a method of cleaning that would also kill mites, that would be great.

When I clean my coop regularly, I remove dirty shavings, put shavings from nesting boxes in coop, and add new shavings to both, if that helps.

I'm nervous about spraying everything with a hose because I know that one of the rules of chickens is to keep things dry if possible, but is this an exception?

Thank you! Do you ever deep clean your coop?

every couple of months or if i notice a problem happening. it's annoying to have to clear out all the bedding at once so it doesn't happen often, lol. usually it's just a weekly removing of the worst soiled straw and topping the layer up. i do mix/stir the bedding most days though (throw corn, and the chickens will do it themselves :p )

I have a 6x4 coop that is raised off the ground. It is made of wood, and I use shavings for beddings. I currently have a mite issue, and it's also getting to the time of year where I should deep clean. I get that I take all the shavings out and was the linoleum that we put on the floor, but what else? Spray with bleach? Hose everything down? How do I clean it? If there's a method of cleaning that would also kill mites, that would be great.
Did you determine what kind of mites?
Good post about mite ID by Lady McCamley:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-has-mites-now-what.1273674/page-2#post-20483008

I'd spray the coop thoroughly with permethrin, rather than any cleaning liquid.

Should I ask the mods to move this thread or start a new one?
Ask them to move it.

Back
Top Bottom