How do I diagnose Marek's? ANd what management?

Godiva

Crowing
16 Years
May 17, 2007
Colorado
I have some birds that I am concerned may have Marek's. I have been doing some research and it just doesn't seem a really clear set of symptoms - but I really don't know much at all! I have separated the birds that look ill but I am really worried about the rest of my birds! How virulent is it and how quickly does it spread? They have all been in the same coop until yesterday so I am assuming that every bird has been exposed to it. My main question is what is my plan for management and when do I know for sure if it is Marek's. Do I have to wait for a bird to die and then get a necropsy.... Would it be worth trying to move the whole small flock that has the ill birds outside so as to try and prevent further exposure of the other birds that seem healthy. What is the timeline for mareks? How quickly does it progress? I have birds that have been sick for a few days, don't birds with Mareks die really quickly once they show signs of illness?

Thank you for that website. After reading through that I am leaning towards thinking that they do not have Mareks. I think I will try another post looking for what to do for birds that have been poisoned somehow... it is only that one lot of birds that is ill and it doesn't seem to be spreading to any of the other birds in the same coop. I am wondering if they got into some old, mouldy hay - which I did not realise could be bad for them. What an awful way to learn this!

Back
Top Bottom