How do I do it

Mellowmalt

Songster
Jan 24, 2021
UK
Hi everyone, I know this is a stupid question regarding how to dispatch my cockerels as I know how to but I am putting it off.
So far I have put 2 of them to sleep but I feel like I need to move on to snapping their neck or not, I don't know.
Two males need to go, they are just crowing non stop because they aren't happy but I have been putting it off.
Putting them to sleep is easy but costly. I'm scared of hurting them if I snap the neck wrong.
I saw a horribly video of a broom method where the bird flapped around for half a minute - I felt that was not done right, I watched another one where he snaps the head back and down and the chicken just instantly flops down lifeless but how do I get myself to do it.
Does it help to have someone else around?
I feel like I will try to put this off as long as possible.

Hi everyone, I know this is a stupid question regarding how to dispatch my cockerels as I know how to but I am putting it off.
So far I have put 2 of them to sleep but I feel like I need to move on to snapping their neck or not, I don't know.
Two males need to go, they are just crowing non stop because they aren't happy but I have been putting it off.
Putting them to sleep is easy but costly. I'm scared of hurting them if I snap the neck wrong.
I saw a horribly video of a broom method where the bird flapped around for half a minute - I felt that was not done right, I watched another one where he snaps the head back and down and the chicken just instantly flops down lifeless but how do I get myself to do it.
Does it help to have someone else around?
I feel like I will try to put this off as long as possible.
I think the easiest method would be chopping the head off.

luckily I don't have that many to despatch. The noisiest one ended up twisting my arm, RIP little buddy. I'm just going to carry on with what I'm comfortable with for now.

A strong flapping reaction to the severing of the spinal cord is actually a sign that the task was accomplished quickly and cleanly.

It's unnerving, but when I was processing birds via the broomstick I noticed that the ones that I didn't get right on the first try didn't flap as hard while the ones were I got a perfect break flapped vigorously.

broom method where the bird flapped around for half a minute - I felt that was not done right,
They're gonna flap.
I watched another one where he snaps the head back and down and the chicken just instantly flops down lifeless
I think that was edited. Because see above.

It took me a while to work up to my first. There is a little peace knowing it is for the right reasons. The reasons vary. And Knowing they had a great life, until that last minute.

thanks everyone and no art no eating involved. Although the foxes will be eating them I don't think there is anything toxic about the gas I use to knock them out.
I will just emphasise I absolutely hate having to do it but it is something that needs to be done. So much so the last one has not been despatched yet. I am trying to teach him not to crow and it is probably a futile attempt at saving his life but I think he is starting to understand. Or he was just breaking in his crow which for some of them involves 12 hours of non stop crowing. It's mad how different they are. His brother- my keeper is so quiet he's quieter than pigeons but the one that got put down, he was louder than a jackhammer.

thanks everyone and no art no eating involved. Although the foxes will be eating them I don't think there is anything toxic about the gas I use to knock them out.
I will just emphasise I absolutely hate having to do it but it is something that needs to be done. So much so the last one has not been despatched yet. I am trying to teach him not to crow and it is probably a futile attempt at saving his life but I think he is starting to understand. Or he was just breaking in his crow which for some of them involves 12 hours of non stop crowing. It's mad how different they are. His brother- my keeper is so quiet he's quieter than pigeons but the one that got put down, he was louder than a jackhammer.
Why is the crowing such a big deal? Do you have a rooster ban? If not, why not just follow your conscience.

Back
Top Bottom