How Do I Feed Them??

Sgsf

Songster
9 Years
May 4, 2010
I don't know what to do. The mother is currently laying in hay, and I put a good amount of food on the hay by the little chicks, and I put a bowl of water by them (small). But they will just stay inside the mothers feathers. How do I get the little chickens to eat and drink water? I'm afraid if I take the chicks out it will mess something up. I thought the mother would kept up to let them eat. The food and water is RIGHT by them. Plus, there is a very big bowl filled with Starter feed tilted so the chicks could get it. But why aren't they coming out?

Try hand feeding the mother, and then the babies
big_smile.png

When I take them out they don't really bother with the food. I thought the Broody mother wold get up and feed them or show them the ropes.

How about sprinkling some feed in the hay under and around the mother so the chicks can peck on the ground where they sit? Or get some mealworms to tempt the mom out so the chicks will move too and then possibly you can dip their little beaks in water and they'll start to peck at food and drink?

Mama will bring them out and teach them to eat when it's time. Be patient. Baby chicks can live for 3-4 days without food or water.

Back
Top Bottom