How do I find a breeder in my area?

Pequena Bandada

Small Flock
9 Years
Jun 13, 2010
I'd like to move away from the hatchery stock I have, and raise heritage chickens and true-to-type chickens from breeder stock. However, I can't seem to find breeders in my area. I've checked Craigslist, read through the auctions here just in case there's anyone from NM selling eggs, looked in the local newspaper, etc. I don't think we have any poultry auctions nearby. Where else should I be looking?

I'm in Santa Fe, NM.

Thanks!

As kathyinmo said.
smile.png
Each breed club has a directory that is very helpful.

And, if you really want to start out the traditional way, there are a lot of breeders here on BYC who sell hatching eggs. It requires an incubator or broody hen, but is well worth the extra 21 days of waiting, and isn't as scary of a purchase as it may seem.

I wholeheartedly agree with Illia. Sometimes hatching eggs are the only way you can acquire certain breeds. Just be warned that hatching can become an obsession unto itself. I don't gamble, so I guess it is the closest outlet I have to that. It's pretty gratifying to see hatching happen with all those little lives eager to escape their eggs....

Also, check in with your USDA extension office. They may have NPIP certified poultry breeders that they are aware of. Often the agents that deal with chickens are chicken breeders themselves.

Last edited:
There is a big show held every fall in Farmington. There are plenty of breeders that live in NM, not sure if they have a breed you would be interested in or not. If you can PM me I can get you some of their names.

Back
Top Bottom