How do I find someone to process for me?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by kathleengp, Jan 24, 2011.

1. kathleengp

kathleengp Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    We have laying chickens, ducks, and guineas as pets, but want to raise some meat birds this spring. DH and 2 of the kids are vegetarians and one of those kids has a real problem with me doing the processing here at home, which is a nit daunting for me anyway since I haven't done it and am confused about some things like how to scrape out lungs etc.

So i was thinking that a perfect solution would be to raise them and then bring them on to someone to process, but I've looked in the yellow pages and on Craigslist for "chicken processing" and "meat processing" and don't find a thing. Anyone know where I should look? I live in the country in Upstate NY and I would think it would be available somewhere....maybe I just need to wait until the right season?

Also, how much do you think I would expect to pay per bird for processing chickens, ducks, turkeys? I was think 25 chickens and 2-3 turkeys to start.

I just want to make sure I can hire this out before I go ordering chicks and get stuck!

Thanks!

2. RoosterGeek

RoosterGeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2010
    Lebanon, TN
    Check with your local feed mill or extension agent office. They will probably know.

3. elizabethbinary

elizabethbinary Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Or maybe post an ad on CL. Maybe someone (like me!) is willing to kill all your chooks in return for 1 or 2 of them for their own family. [​IMG]

4. duckfat

duckfat Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2010
    Michigan
    We process birds for others. A chicken is $2.50, duck is $6.00 and goose is $7.00. All birds are shrink wrapped. The ducks and geese are waxed. There is a $5 start up fee.

5. jasonm11

jasonm11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    tioga tx
    Why do you wax ducks and geese? what about turkeys?

6. duckfat

Oct 30, 2010
    Michigan
    Quote:Waxing waterfowl leaves a very clean carcass that customers appreciate. We don't do turkeys.

7. kathleengp

kathleengp Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    And how do people find you? Do you advertise somewhere? I feel like I'm looking in the wrong places - lol. Thanks for giving your prices - it helps me to realize what to expect on prices.

Also thank you for the other suggestions of asking at the cooperative extension or posting on CL myself - great ideas and I am sure they will help me get hooked up with someone.

8. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    There's a lady in an amish neighborhood that does meaties for $1 each for more than 50 and $2 each for less than 50 and that is on chickens...you could try talking to a 4H group...they might be able to help you locate someone who can do it for you. Also, put an ad on Craigslist...I've never seen ads for people offering to do it, but maybe if they see your ad asking for someone, they find contact you.

9. duckfat

Oct 30, 2010
    Michigan
    Quote:Mostly it is through word of mouth, either through the local feed mill or fur and feather swaps. Please note that this is a very rural area and don't know how it would apply to yours.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by