How do I fix the clock??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mmajw, Jun 27, 2008.

1. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    How do I fix the clock in my Rooster?

He starts crowing about 10:30 PM and stops about 1:00 AM then starts in again around 3:00 AM and stop after a few minutes then starts in again around 4:30 AM and does it off and on until 8:00 AM then he will do it off and on during the day.

Don't get me wrong I love to hear his crow. Now he is waking the kids in the middle of the night when we have the windows open.

If he was quiet until at least the 4:30 AM start time all would be great..

[​IMG]

2. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    Make sure you don't have any lights at night that could be instigatiing this. Motion detector lights that come on and off when the neighbor cat walks by can keep a rooster crowing all night!

3. mmajw

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    No lights at all.

I think he just likes to hear himself. We have pretty much gotten use to it in the middle of he night. But all winter when the windows are closed ou get use to not hearing it then summer hits and you have to retrain yourself thats all.

Oh well we love him anyway.

4. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

The only way I know of to stop a rooster from crowing is to turn it off.

5. mmajw

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:LOL [​IMG]

6. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Something is waking him up. It could be dogs barking, animals prowling outside the coop, neighbors talking loudly, cars driving by, etc.

7. mmajw

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:Well I dont hear dogs so hopefully he doesnt.
    Could be animals
    No neighbors here or cars

8. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    mine crows when our dogs bark or horses whinny...maybe he hears an animal you don't from inside the house.

also, i think i read that roosters have to extend their necks to crow (watch, you'll notice)
    so keeping them penned at night in something where he is comfy, but can't raise up may help!

maybe your flock is acting up or is a chicken missing??? they like to call their women![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by