How do I free range my chickens with a Fox in the woods??

Pics

CrazyChicken Lady

My Ducks are in a row🦆🦆🦆
May 25, 2020
Missouri
My property is surrounded by woods on three out of the four sides and we have always had a problem with foxes but this certain fox keeps coming back so I can’t free range my hens. Normally this would be fine but The hens are out around 9 hours each day and because of the Fox they’re now locked in their run all day and they need to stretch their legs and get fresh greens. Also I don’t have enough time to sit out there and watch them. What should I do to get rid of that Fox?

My property is surrounded by woods on three out of the four sides and we have always had a problem with foxes but this certain fox keeps coming back so I can’t free range my hens. Normally this would be fine but The hens are out around 9 hours each day and because of the Fox they’re now locked in their run all day and they need to stretch their legs and get fresh greens. Also I don’t have enough time to sit out there and watch them. What should I do to get rid of that Fox?
Is there a wild and game place that you could call? Maybe they could trap it and rehome it? Fox can be very determined once they realize there's food available. We, personally, would try to trap it and neutralize the threat but not everyone is comfortable with that option. That's why I asked about the Wild and Game or maybe someone else similar? It also depends on your personal city/state laws regarding such a thing. I'm not sure but I do wish you luck! :fl
Edited to add: There is also electric poultry fencing. That can be a bit pricey but it is definitely an option.

Foxes right now have babies in their dens. Being kept in the run isn't really bad for the birds. If you really want them to have some extra space, use metal U stakes and run a 4 foot high fence of chicken wire. You could even include the run if you wanted. Get a livestock electric fence charger and run a wire along the top of the fence as well as along the bottom. You could even make three or 4 strands and run that a foot out from the chicken wire on a second row of stakes. Most foxes will not be out in the daytime but they might be strapped for food if they are feeding pups and be desperate.

Putting up an electric fence is easy. If you made a separate barrier of 4 or 5 strands, first one 4 inches off the ground, next three 6 inches or so spaced. Fox and other ground predators won't cross it. Put pieces of bacon over the wire in select spots (do not have the bacon make a connection between wires) and after a sample, mr fox will not be back.

Last edited:
I currently use a 100lb. Doberman security system. I have no foxes, coyotes, raccoons, possums, hawks or anything else for that matter.

IMG_1847.jpg

I free range year round. No fencing no electricity. I live in the mountains with every predator (except weasels and mink) that are found in va. A hundred birds have come through my care with only 1 lost to a predator which happened to be.... a fox. The quintessential chicken predator.

All in all pretty successful.

To reduce predation you need only 2 things. 1. A secure coop at night. 2. A dog (not necessarily a guard dog. The family pet will do). The presence of the dog, scent especially, with regular daylight activities on your property will keep daytime predators at bay. They will choose to come at night when things quiet down and by then the birds are secure in the coop.
Note: only bird i lost occurred at midday before we got our family dog

I free range year round. No fencing no electricity. I live in the mountains with every predator (except weasels and mink) that are found in va. A hundred birds have come through my care with only 1 lost to a predator which happened to be.... a fox. The quintessential chicken predator.

All in all pretty successful.

To reduce predation you need only 2 things. 1. A secure coop at night. 2. A dog (not necessarily a guard dog. The family pet will do). The presence of the dog, scent especially, with regular daylight activities on your property will keep daytime predators at bay. They will choose to come at night when things quiet down and by then the birds are secure in the coop.
Note: only bird i lost occurred at midday before we got our family dog

Yes I free range all year long but every spring the foxes come back! I've got a secure coop ( they get locked in it every night and it has chicken wire around the bottom ) and two dogs but it still seems to always come back!! I also don't have a fence because they have a small run, the whole thing is muddy dirt though, and I don't want to have to kill it because I have neighbors behind me and I don't want to shoot them! :barnie

Back
Top Bottom