How do I free range my chickens with a Fox in the woods??

Pics
We have had a terrible time with foxes this year also... We have been free ranging birds for the last 3 years without any issues then this year we have lost 10 birds in the last couple months to fox attacks. The first attack was in the middle of the day when we were outside all day. One was overnight in a chicken tractor only steps from our front door and right by a light. We have 2 family dogs and the fox seems to know when the dogs are not close enough to stop an attack. The only thing that has worked for us is electric poultry netting. We have seen the fox pacing by the electric netting at night, but so far it has not crossed the fence.

We have a lady here where we live and she free ranges a very large flock of chickens. We have all kinds of predators here on the Peninsula. She has a Great Pyrenees out with her flock. They are large dogs, but maybe if you have a dog and trust it with your chickens let it hang out with them during the day. Another lady here in town has an Aussie (which I would love to get but already have 2 dogs), she was telling me that he keeps her Runners safe from Eagles, Hawks and any other predator whether land or sky. Hope you find something to help.

Over the years I have had different predators kill birds. For me the electric wires around my coops and large pens solved that issue. I still see predators on my game cameras, mostly fox or coyote.
The date on this camera is wrong. this was last night, It knows the electric wires are there.
DSCF0001614 06.jpg

We have a lady here where we live and she free ranges a very large flock of chickens. We have all kinds of predators here on the Peninsula. She has a Great Pyrenees out with her flock. They are large dogs, but maybe if you have a dog and trust it with your chickens let it hang out with them during the day. Another lady here in town has an Aussie (which I would love to get but already have 2 dogs), she was telling me that he keeps her Runners safe from Eagles, Hawks and any other predator whether land or sky. Hope you find something to help.
We have two dogs, one of which is a Aussie/ Blue Healer mix. When a fox attacked in Feb the dog was outside! 🤪 She didn’t even do any thing!:he

Back
Top Bottom