How do I free range my ducks in my yard?

I have been free-ranging my Muscovys for a year where my land is a mix of woods and meadow. So far no problem with predators, but I always secure them in the coop at night. They have learned to come to the coop and enclosed run when I call them before dark. I give them a treat that they only get for this behaviour. My neighbour's cat and my ducks have come to a truce so now they pretend the other does not exist. But I have Muscovys - big ducks. Good luck. I remember how nerve wracking it was in the beginning.

I have been free-ranging my Muscovys for a year where my land is a mix of woods and meadow. So far no problem with predators, but I always secure them in the coop at night. They have learned to come to the coop and enclosed run when I call them before dark. I give them a treat that they only get for this behaviour. My neighbour's cat and my ducks have come to a truce so now they pretend the other does not exist. But I have Muscovys - big ducks. Good luck. I remember how nerve wracking it was in the beginning.
Thank you! This was really helpful, and if you can do it...so can I? I'll put up an update if it goes well!

I have always given my ducks their meal worm treat at night so they are almost always waiting near our outside door for me to come out and put them to bed. We too are in a wooded area and my biggest worry is a coyote or a dog. We have had some opossum and raccoon come around near the day when they are extra hungry, but they are seeking out the food bowl and seemingly pay no attention to the ducks nearby (although we did make them go away). We have had loose dogs roam into our area several times, and the ducks are very aware of their surroundings. If they are not close enough to go on the pond, they usually take off quickly into the woods and hide themselves pretty well.

Back
Top Bottom