How Do I Get Chickens to Breed True?

LapisLazuli

Songster
Sep 3, 2020
Illinois
How do I get chickens to breed true. Everything I'm seeing says "Work with the breed for 5 years" is 5 years the magic number? I'm very confused if anyone would clarify this it would the greatly appreciated. :)

How do I get chickens to breed true. Everything I'm seeing says "Work with the breed for 5 years" is 5 years the magic number? I'm very confused if anyone would clarify this it would the greatly appreciated. :)
You are very vague on your questions.

Are you trying to create a Breed?
Are you breeding for Show?
Are you starting with hatchery stock or breeder stock?

put more info and some of use will understand what you are trying to accomplish

I may be wrong, but I thought that 'breed true' means that if you cross it with another chicken of the same type, the chicks would hatch out the same breed and color? It is my understanding that the color black breeds true, while the color blue does not.

I may be wrong, but I thought that 'breed true' means that if you cross it with another chicken of the same type, the chicks would hatch out the same breed and color? It is my understanding that the color black breeds true, while the color blue does not.
The question is too broad.

Breed true to type?
Breed true to color?

the OP must be more specific.

You can breed Black Australorp to Black Jersey Giants and get chicks that breed true to color but not to type

Back
Top Bottom