How Do I Get Daddy Roo to Pay Chick Support ???

Barry Natchitoches

Songster
11 Years
Sep 4, 2008
Tennessee
OK, I've had it...

My eight month old boy Andy is out there in his henhouse living it up with his 13 pullet room mates.

One of his little pullets hatched three chicks last month. Now this morning, another pullet hatched two more.

He is the only roo in that chicken yard. I KNOW he's the father, even without a DNA test.

And HE knows he's the father. I heard him crowing at the top of his lungs this morning, making sure that the entire neighborhood knew that he just became a father again.

That is FIVE MORE CHICKS around here that have to be fed, housed and cared for!

Since he is the father of all five of those baby chicks, shouldn't he help support the babies that he helped bring into this world?

How can I get the ole boy to cough up some chick support payments?

smile.png

Last edited:
First have fewer hens / mating opportunities otherwise it is in the rooster's interest to play the feild. My game roosters will tend chicks if the number of hens is low, two or less.

Breed is also important. My American game roosters will consistently tend chicks hatched by hens of their harem but American dominiques and even red jungle fowl are much less consistent. The lesser daddies will seldom do more than offer an occasional food item to chicks but the more engaged will scratch up eats, defend brood against some predators, and drive off juveniles not their own (not applicable in your case).

Last edited:
yuckyuck.gif

The chicks and in particular any GIRL chicks are his chIck-in-the-mail!!!!

"I sent it in ---- can't you see?!"
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom