How do I get my ducks to use their pond

DogIsMyShepherd

Songster
Jul 12, 2019
Canada
So last year I had a mix of 4 ducks, 4 chickens, a goose and 3 guineas. They lived in a baby barn( I think it 14x10) or around that anyway. And had a covered dog run about 14x8. This year I’ve expanded, as well as getting rid of some. I now have 1 guard goose, 10 chickens and 12 ducks. They still live in the baby barn, with the covered dog run that opens up into a 25x50foot new covered area. In the new area and I’ve built a sandbox for the chickens and dug a pond for the ducks. Well after all my hard work the ducks and the goose wont go in the pond. It’s got cinder blocks around it holding down the liner and a ramp that goes in the pond.

How on earth can I get these ducks and goose to go in the pond? I’ve tried throwing peas in there and they still won’t go in. They will however go in the chickens sandbox.

I am guessing they are scared of it. You waited to long to introduced them to a large body of water to play in. Do you have any pics?

New things take a little time for them to get used to. Just be patient and give them a little time to warm up to their new pond. :)

Here’s my ducks and goose. And my pond. It’s nothing special just dug by hand with a shovel and used what I had on hand.

F2A088C7-FA96-4C25-B0ED-76F0207AE4CE.jpeg
15BF6B81-8CEF-4120-ACC3-B0A32B4DB78C.jpeg

That looks Great! they should love it! :celebrate Just give them a little time to figure it out and when they feel safe and are ok with it, you won't be able to keep them out long enough to clean it! :wee

Last edited:
We also like to improvise and re-purpose our extra building materials on hand. Nothing fancy but works and have yet to get any complaints! :D

I thought they would be in it right away, the goose and Pekin ducks are always in the little kiddie pool. Oh well, the frogs like it anyway

Oh yes my 2 year old Muscovy teddy loves frogs and night crawlers. I never know what they’re gonna eat. One of my roosters ran in their house the other day and came out with a mouse, then the other chickens and ducks chased him trying to eat it too

Back
Top Bottom