How do I get rid of a hawk ?

Make sure there's a roof or cover on all the areas your chickens go (coop and run.)
Hope it eventually gives up and leaves.

Big birds of prey tend to be legally protected, which really limits your options for getting rid of them. But they will tend to go where the food is-- so if they cannot find food at your place, they will be more likely to go somewhere else.

Some people hang CDs on fishing line between trees to confuse and scare predators away.
A friend of mine has a small backyard, so she ran colored string from tree to tree to form a "woven" canopy over the yard to make it harder for a hawk to dive through and get any of her chickens. She used a ladder and put it about 10 feet in the air. It looked kinda neat to her, so she went and bought string lights and added those to her canopy, lol. Now she says she has a "Chicken Party Yard".

So I have noticed a hawk flying around when my chickens are out. So what can I do to get rid of it and protect my Chickens?
The best you can do to protect your chickens is a secure and covered run big enough for them to roam and go about their chicken business without feeling cramped.

Leave the hawk alone, there will always be another and another....

So I have noticed a hawk flying around when my chickens are out. So what can I do to get rid of it and protect my Chickens?
I don't plan on shoting the hawk just need some ideas of how to keep my chickens safe it seems that if I keep our dogs out they fly away but I like the CDs hanging from trees cool and entertaining all at the same time thanks

You could try to set up some long poles with thin plastic bags attached to the top like a windcone. This works like some kind of jumping jack and is rather unpredictable for the hawk.

I just renewed mine and they work fine if you change their positions and the colour of the bags quite often.

Last edited:
CD’s are no guarantee they will be safe. Hawks get used to them. But for a couple of days this can work.
Cat netting or netting for birds of pray over the run really does help.

Maybe you can attach a large net / make an extra netted area on to the run to provide more space if the run is quit small.

Anyway I wouldn’t let them free range as long as a hawk is around. But if you do you have to provide in lots of hiding places.

Migrating hawks are on the move right now, so there will be increased predatory behavior over the next few weeks. If possible, only permit supervised free ranging during the latter part of the day. Keep in mind that even with strict supervision, there have been posts of hawks attacking chickens within a few feet of their human keepers. Hawks are the #1 predator of my free-ranging hens; unfortunately, the occasional casualty is expected. I’m hoping to get a LGD next spring when the goats and sheep arrive, so that should help the hawk problem. Currently I have a guinea fowl and he is a good alarm for predators, although anything from a leaf blowing across the pasture to a horse-drawn Amish buggy clip clopping down the road will set the guinea off in a frantic, boisterous tirade, lol! Your best bet is to try and figure out how to best coexist with the hawks since they are here to stay. Good luck with your girls!

Back
Top Bottom