How do i get them do shut up?

Jurassic Wolf

Songster
Jun 27, 2018
NJ
It started this summer for no reason at all. They know they are not coming out until 3 p.m. and yet they squawk all day loud enough to raise the dead. They have never squawked before since this summer. I am so close from throwing water on them when they are loud! Someone please help!!!! They sound this loud:
except there are only 3 of them and they do it all day long!!!!

I'm not sure on this one as it's not something I've ever really dealt with for long periods of time.

However, if I'm ever late in letting my flock out of their coop, they start doing this. I take it as their own little protest against me being late. As soon as they are out, they stop.

Do they have a run to go in before 3pm? Or are they locked in the coop all day until then? I'm unsure on your circumstances but maybe it's worth getting at least a small outside secure space built joint into your coop so that they can be in there until you then let them out fully at 3pm.

As for your rooster, he's just sitting there looking so confused :lau

He's thinking 'why you all singing when you ain't laying any eggs'.

Sorry if its not clear but the video was just an example of what mine sound like from YouTube. I only have 3 chickens. they are bantams and have a 3x5 coop, with a 5x8 run. The largest one is 3lbs. the smallest one is .8 lbs.

Sorry if its not clear but the video was just an example of what mine sound like from YouTube. I only have 3 chickens. they are bantams and have a 3x5 coop, with a 5x8 run. The largest one is 3lbs. the smallest one is .8 lbs.

Ah right, sorry I didn't realise!

Are your chickens locked in their coop until 3pm or do they have access to the run before then?

I know some chickens can become noisy when they are becoming bored. You could try and hang some enrichment in their run like CD's or some healthy treats on string etc.

I've seen hot temps make some of my chickens also particularly agitated and noisy if they can't cool down.

No they have access to the run all the time. At 3 is when I let them run around my yard. I keep trying to hang stuff in their run, but they get scared and then will spend the entire day squawking at it and avoiding it at all costs. I toss lettuce/corn/whatever is in my fridge inside their coop in the morning, and they eat that but they hate anything thats not on the ground. (Except for perches)

It started this summer for no reason at all. They know they are not coming out until 3 p.m. and yet they squawk all day loud enough to raise the dead. They have never squawked before since this summer. I am so close from throwing water on them when they are loud! Someone please help!!!! They sound this loud:
except there are only 3 of them and they do it all day long!!!!
Goodness, that video made me smile even thought it shouldn't. I am sorry for your trouble. Some breeds are known to be noisy. What kind of bantams do you have? Have you tried to placate them with treats? (Not a good solution but it might help.) They might just keep yelling until they get their own way.

haha I used to toss them treats to get them to be quiet, but now they continue squawking until I come back outside. Also I have 2 bantam brahmas and 1 EE. The brahmas are the ones squawking

No they have access to the run all the time. At 3 is when I let them run around my yard. I keep trying to hang stuff in their run, but they get scared and then will spend the entire day squawking at it and avoiding it at all costs. I toss lettuce/corn/whatever is in my fridge inside their coop in the morning, and they eat that but they hate anything thats not on the ground. (Except for perches)

Hm very strange!

It is true as @WallyBirdie mentioned that some breeds can be more vocal than others.

From what you've said about them being particularly frightened of new things, even treats, could mean something's unsettling them. Could be a range of things, predators roaming around maybe?

I'm honestly not sure, others may know better!

However, I'm thinking if your chickens are very skittish and wary of things, the noise could be down to them being unsettled from something.

Although, it may just be the way they are. All chickens are different. I just read you have Brahmas and mine are vocal when they want attention. Maybe they've been clever enough to learn that when they squark on, you'll come running and they'll get attention/treats whenever they want. If possible, let them out sooner if that's what makes them quieter.

Last edited:
in case nobody told you before you got chickens I am sorry but they tend to be very bossy and do things on their timeline like a cat. Just be thankful they aren't always out running around your yard, mine come knocking at the door demanding meal worm treats if I am late the rooster has figured out where I sleep so comes and lets his displeasure at his hens not being happy right at my window. LOL

Back
Top Bottom