How do I get them to go to bed?!

I have seven, 10-week old birds. Each night as the sun goes down, three of them perch on the door to the coop. They are easy to get put in the coop. The other four sometimes are in the coop, sometimes on the ramp, but usually come running back out when they hear me come out the front door.

I get them all placed in the coop (after no small amount of chicken wrestling), but how do I get them to willingly go in the coop at night? This has been the nightly routine for about 3 weeks.

Thanks!
Unless your coop gets to hot lock them in there for 3 or 4 weeks then start over they should go to bed on there own then.

Sorry I can not help but just to say after locking my chicks up at 3.5 weeks old in the coop for a day or so they now march into the coop at 5:30–6:00 every night and roost( they are 10 now).
I’ve come to believe I have a bunch of lightweight chicken, not party animals at all.

One thought though, maybe they’re not roosting because they’re waiting on that treat you give them at that exact time, I might cut that out if it were me

My chicks at 5 weeks would not go inside the coop after sunset because it was dark in the coop, 3 small windows. I put in a nightlight, problem solved. Turn off the nightlight when you lockup the coop or the bullies may peck others when they start to roost. GC

My ten week old chicks are the last to go in; they wait for the adults to eat, drink, and roost, and then the youngsters feel safe to go in for their bed time dinners. Right now it's after 9pm here in Michigan! They are mostly not on the roosts yet either, rather settling on the metal garbage cans that hold the feed.
It will get better!
Mary

They spent the first two weeks in the coop exclusively in the coop (no access to outside). Maybe I'll try a nightlight, or just accept that this is my routine until they get a little older :).

Back
Top Bottom