How do I go about finding others here who also want backyard hens?

Any updates on this? I currently have permitted chickens I columbus but we're looking to move east, possibly to reynoldsburg. I'd hate to have to lose my 9 hens. We love our fresh eggs!

Hi. It was under consideration at Council in July. They had appointed an ad hoc committee to analyze the current ordinances regarding dogs, and the committee recommended, along with changes to the ordinances for dogs, that the Council consider specific language permitting the keeping of chickens. I and several others spoke to Council on the benefits of having chickens. Unfortunately, the issue was tied up with whether or not to lift the ban on pit bulls, and there was a heavy presence of residents against that measure. Not surprisingly, Council voted not to amend the current ordinances. That said, we had an attorney look at the current ordinances last winter and were told that it is sufficiently vague with respect to keeping chickens as to not be banned outright. We went ahead with it, after first checking with our nearest neighbors and getting their support. We have not had any difficulties, but we do have a 6-ft privacy fence in our yard, and only 3 hens. When I spoke at the Council meeting, I didn't actually state that we are chicken keepers, but afterward one of the members of the ad hoc committee came to speak to me and told me the same thing that the attorney had said, that it was not strictly prohibited. For what it's worth, Franklin Co recently passed a homesteading ordinance that allows chickens/ducks/rabbits (I believe it is up to 8 chickens), but this only applies to unincorporated parts of Franklin Co, so not Reynoldsburg. I don't know whether this helps you, but I hope you won't have to give up your hens!

Back
Top Bottom