How do I help a stunted/sickly chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Careta, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Careta

Careta Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2010
    Hi Everybody,

Not sure if I phrased the subject right but we yesterday we got a little Polish/Favorelle pullet.

She did not come out of the egg right so her breeder had to help her out and give her some TLC so she survived.

My question is, are there things I can do to help her catch up? Her growth is stunted, she is a little wobbly on her legs, not very well coordinated, slow to identify food and today I noticed some diarheea but I think that might just be the trauma of being in a new place.

Are there some super chicken foods that will help her? She is going to be a companion to my very gentle Easter Egger but I'll be quaranting her for a while first.

Any chicken nurturing hints would be most appreciated.

Did I mention she is totally sweet and even though this is her first day with is and she's very scared when my husband gave her a cuddle she went to sleep!

2. TeriyakiChicken

TeriyakiChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Western Australia
    does she have spraddle leg? look it up on google if you want [​IMG]

3. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Give her some live yogurt and scrambled eggs. How old is she?

4. Careta

Careta Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2010
    Thanks!
    I think she has a touch of spraddle leg but I don't think there's much I can do as she's 16 weeks old.
    Thanks for the scrambled eggs and yoghurt suggestion. I'll do that today.
    She is the friendliest chicken I've ever had! It's only day three and she will come up and stand still for a stroke. If I rub her breast she starts to go to sleep!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by