How do I help my chickens relax when being handled?

bibzybean

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 22, 2019
3 weeks ago, my family got our first chickens (3 little crazy angels!) and in the last week, we've started trying to pet/handle/pick them up more, so that they can get used to bonding with us. None of them really like being stroked and need a good bit of wrangling and sunflower seeds to actually be picked up, but one chicken in particular (called Peanut) is jumpy and really seems to hate it.

When we pick her up and the panicked flapping subsides, she makes some really heartbreaking squawk noises and even when we put her down again, she'll keep squawking for a good 5-10 minutes afterwards as she potters around the garden. I recorded a video of her about 2 minutes after being picked up, and wanted to ask if this is normal for new chickens (because it makes me want to cry! The poor thing) and also if the squawking sounded normal? I hope the file works

Attachments

• media.io_df3e39b1fd1e0f7fac8762ab9f92ec78 (1).zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
3 weeks ago, my family got our first chickens (3 little crazy angels!) and in the last week, we've started trying to pet/handle/pick them up more, so that they can get used to bonding with us. None of them really like being stroked and need a good bit of wrangling and sunflower seeds to actually be picked up, but one chicken in particular (called Peanut) is jumpy and really seems to hate it.

When we pick her up and the panicked flapping subsides, she makes some really heartbreaking squawk noises and even when we put her down again, she'll keep squawking for a good 5-10 minutes afterwards as she potters around the garden. I recorded a video of her about 2 minutes after being picked up, and wanted to ask if this is normal for new chickens (because it makes me want to cry! The poor thing) and also if the squawking sounded normal? I hope the file works

It's pretty normal for some chickens to dislike handling more than others. I have some chickens in my flock that are totally docile and will actually jump up in your lap to be pet on, and I have others (I'm thinking of a particular golden laced Wyandotte named Attila the Hen) who hate being handled and will never really enjoy it no matter how much I attempt to bribe them.

I'm pretty sure the squawking noise is just her telling you off, lol. Or complaining to the others how much she hates being picked up. My little Wyandotte does the same thing and acts completely indignant if you pick her up.

If you bought adult chickens that you didn't raise yourself, they may have been raised with a very "hands off" approach by whoever you bought them from - that is, fed and sheltered, but not really handled like pets. If they're not used to it, it's going to take you awhile to tame them compared to chicks you have hand-reared yourself from a day old. Either that, or they may still be bonded to their previous owners and not quite trust you guys yet. Chickens are prey animals and we are big and scary, it takes awhile for them to get used to and trust us.

It's pretty normal for some chickens to dislike handling more than others. I have some chickens in my flock that are totally docile and will actually jump up in your lap to be pet on, and I have others (I'm thinking of a particular golden laced Wyandotte named Attila the Hen) who hate being handled and will never really enjoy it no matter how much I attempt to bribe them.

I'm pretty sure the squawking noise is just her telling you off, lol. Or complaining to the others how much she hates being picked up. My little Wyandotte does the same thing and acts completely indignant if you pick her up.

If you bought adult chickens that you didn't raise yourself, they may have been raised with a very "hands off" approach by whoever you bought them from - that is, fed and sheltered, but not really handled like pets. If they're not used to it, it's going to take you awhile to tame them compared to chicks you have hand-reared yourself from a day old. Either that, or they may still be bonded to their previous owners and not quite trust you guys yet. Chickens are prey animals and we are big and scary, it takes awhile for them to get used to and trust us.
Oh I'm glad it's nothing too deep, that's a relief, thank you :)

They putting meal around ur feet so they get used to u or bread or whatever kinda treats use have and after a while start sitting throwing meal round u and soon they should just come up to u did this will a few sex links I got a while back they became really friendly

X2 .My less friendly batch of chickens now races to the door of their pen when i come in the room because i did something like this.

Back
Top Bottom