How do I intrduce babys to 2 month old rooster and hen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by krapnet, Aug 11, 2013.

1. krapnet

krapnet Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2013
    My last flock (5/7) got eaten by mice due to poor coop building, and I take full responsibility for that issue. After a few tweaks, wood and wiring I made the coop 99.99% predator free.( I hope). Now I just bought 6 more chicks (1-2 weeks old).

I put them in a special cage where I'll take care of them til they get a little older, but my older two heard the peeping sound and rushed over to investigate. they remained calm walked around and left. I don't want to take the risk of 1 week old chicks with my older two.

Are there any steps or is there any thing I can do to introduce them with out a fight?

2. RedJungleFowl

RedJungleFowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2012
    Cailfornia
    I think not i mean there is bound to be some fight but if u just keep them in a cage where they can see each other for at least a week when u let them out there still be fight but won' t be that bad. To me i let like a 2 week old chicks with 6 month old rooster they did't even chase them but only bit them if u held it to there face and when they come eat then like after 2 hours for mines only took 2 hours but for other i'm not sure then they are normal hope this helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by