HOW DO I INTRODUCE A NEW CHICKEN?

HBG

Hatching
Mar 30, 2018
HI,
RECENTLY I ADOPTED TWO FULL GROWN CHICKENS AND THEY WERE VERY HAPPY UNTIL A FEW DAYS AGO WHEN ONE PASSED UNEXPECTEDLY. I BELIEVE SHE ATE SOMETHING AND THE ONLY THING I CAN THINK IS A COFFEE BEAN (WOULD THAT KILL HER?)
NOW I NEED TO GET ANOTHER CHICKEN FOR LONELY HEN. WHAT IS THE BEST WAY FOR ME TO DO THIS? CAN I GET A CHICK OR DOES IT NEED TO BE A FULL GROWN HEN?

The hen may attack to young of a chicken. I would at least get half grown. Also, a little time to where they can see each other but not touch may help too. She will not be alone but will not be able to fight. They may be just fine. It just depends on their dimeaner. On the coffee bean, unless she choked, I would not imagine it would hurt anything.

Agreed, Angeline1978. I had a mere three birds and two were killed together on the same day by two of my neighbor's dogs that jumped my backyard fence, leaving me with one lonely, traumatized bird. I first introduced one new bird of the same age (8 months) and size, but quarantined the new bird for just under two weeks in a separate section of my extra long run so that she could be seen but not touched (otherwise they would kill each other!), and would let them have separate free range time. By the time they finally got together, they were fine together. Two weeks later, I introduced two more new birds on the same day that were the same age and size as the other two birds and quarantined them each separately in the same way. I now have four birds that free range happily together.

You have already received great advice.

Agree you should add only the one as you mentioned, but try to find a compatible breed of similar age - one that has a similar temperament to the one you already love. And use the look but don't touch method til you are sure they won't show aggression to each other.

Don't add baby chicks, chickens don't have a natural mothering instinct for them and will kill them.

Good luck and :welcome , glad you have joined us.

You should consider posting an intro under the New Members Forum to receive a proper welcoming.

I have big wire cage i put new chickens in it and put cage in with flock.after 2 days I open door to cage so new chickens can come out and mingle.If flock is aggressive towards new chickens they just run back in cage.usually takes about 4 days before new chickens are accepted into flock and i can remove cage.

You have already received great advice.

Agree you should add only the one as you mentioned, but try to find a compatible breed of similar age - one that has a similar temperament to the one you already love. And use the look but don't touch method til you are sure they won't show aggression to each other.

Don't add baby chicks, chickens don't have a natural mothering instinct for them and will kill them.

Good luck and :welcome , glad you have joined us.

You should consider posting an intro under the New Members Forum to receive a proper welcoming.

Sunflour, thanks for mentioning the temperament point -- very important. I should mention that another reason I kept the new birds quarantined for nearly two weeks was to make sure they weren't sick in any way. My lone bird left standing after I lost my other two (a large Easter Egger and an equally large Barred Rock - all three were raised together from babies) to the neighboring dogs was a Rhode Island Red, small in stature and very docile. Because of her small size, though the same age, she had been incessantly bullied by the other two birds. When they were killed and the three new birds were introduced (a much smaller Easter Egger, a New Hampshire Red and a Cuckoo Marans), she now rules the roost, even though as the birds have continued to grow, and although the others are not huge, she remains the smallest. As an aside, she is much more kind to the subordinate birds than the two who were killed were to her! I lucked out because they all interact very well together.

Back
Top Bottom