how do i introduce a new hen to a 2 year old pair of turkeys?

amyandkids

Songster
10 Years
Apr 18, 2013
o.k. byc family, I need your help! I just got a 2 year old breeding pair of Narragansett turkeys 1 month ago, now my neighbor has a 3 year old Narragansett hen that she wants to rehome and wants me to keep it, but it cant be meat as Tammy turkey is a pet. She has been alone for 3 years no other birds! So how do I introduce her into the pair I have? This is the first time I have had full grown turkeys and im intimidated by the tom cause he is so BIG! I don't know turkeys good enough to know if he is displaying to keep me away or if he is just courting her, but he comes right to me and hisses and thumps and shakes all his feathers, but he has not charged at any of us.I think im just a big baby scared of the unknown, But I am learning so if this seems to be a silly question I am sorry, just don't want them to kill tammy turkey when I get her this weekend! Thank you in advance AMY

Always keep biosecurity in mind because just because it's your neighbors bird. Can you keep it seperate? Is that possible? My suggestion would to be put them together just to see how to they react but watch for any signs of hostility

yes I can crate it separately next to my pair, my female does make the trilling noise and tries to peck the younger ones ,they are 5 months old, that are housed in the next pen! thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom