How do I introduce my dogs to my chickens/chicks?

My dogs have been exposed to my chicks from the start, as the chicks were brooded in the house where the dogs could see, hear and smell them thru the hardware cloth.
I would only trust 2 out of 3 dogs though as one hen is a banty.

I wouldn't trust either of my lab-mix (OK - mutt) dogs on a bet, to the point that they aren't even allowed to be in the garage with the brooder unless they're under direct supervision. My female is fascinated by the chicks, and will gladly sit and quietly stare at the brooder while I'm working out there. Although her brother has a high prey drive, he doesn't usually pay them any mind unless they're flapping about, at which point he starts barking his head off at them and wants to put his paws up on the table holding the brooder so he can get in there for a snack. They're good dogs, and excellent with our cats, but I don't think a chicken would last more than a few seconds at best, so I'm not risking it.

You know those cute Easter chick toys that you put in your hand in and they chirp? My BOXER LOVED THEM! There is NO way I would trust her with the chickens. I have introduced her to the brooder, and both dog crates are in the room with the brooder so when they are crated they can hear/smell and probably see the babies. But the other night one of the chicks flapped and tried to fly a little ways and my Boxer lunged. Chick is fine but my heart stopped!!!
hide.gif

People in general give dogs toys with squeakers (I know I have). The squeakers sound like animals in distress and I noticed that they also sound like CHICKS!!!!!!!

I love my dogs and I love my chickens. For my sanity and the safety of my hens, we keep them separate!

I have a pit mix who I was worried might try and eat my chickens for dinner so I did a lot of training with him to make sure that he knew they were part of the family. From the day I brought the chicks home I had nightly "training sessions" where I would bring the chicks and my dog together in the same room and just hang out, let him get used to them and treated him when he was calm. I kept an eye on him a lot at first and never left him alone with them until I was 110% sure he wasn't going to try anything. Not every dog will be good around chickens, regardless of how much training you do but introducing them as early as possible and using positive reinforcement will help tremendously! Good luck!
smile.png

once the bird starts running, the dog is on it flies on stink.

i've had dogs that you would swear were the best bird-loving dog you'd ever see, wouldn't even look at the bird when you were there, killing birds if one got out.

if the dog has been around birds its whole life (and good luck getting a puppy not to chew on them
tongue.png
), i don't know; can't attest to that situation.

some people do have dogs that leave their birds alone, though. i wouldn't trust a dog enough to find out
smile.png

Our schnauzer was recently in a position to meet our hens and thought he would take his stance at them while the hens were in a fenced are. After the hens raised up and flapped their wings, one of them pecked the dog on the nose and he took off to go hide. He does still run after them if the are loose in the yard and he can get behind them. Not sure what the dog would do to one if he did manage to catch one.

what am i supposed to do now = [ I have chickens and a dog that you said will probally kill it = [ I don't want to leave them all cooped up = [ My dads friends who has chickens, he has the huge massive bull mastiff's and the don't even care that they are there!

Quote:
What you do is work with your dogs if they show immediate aggression towards them. Do not ever leave them out to where the dogs have access to them. My full blood black lab was wound up when he discovered mine. I worked and worked with him...now, I DO TRUST my dog in the same backyard with my chickens, even when I'm not out there. He actually got spooked by one the other day when it took off running and flapping its wings, and when my dog turned around and saw it, it scared the chicken poo out of him!! I think that was a big step towards him leaving them alone.
It can be done, but it will take a firm approach, and countless days of correction.

Quote:
We have a lab/rottie mix too - not only is she the sweestest thing ever she LOVES the chicks/chickens & treats them like their her puppies - it's sweet really. We leave her & the chickens out in the backyard alone all the time (we free range during the day) - I actually like her with them b/c I know she'd protect them should another dog or something come into our yard. We joke that we should of named her Nana not Maia.

When we brought our first chicks home we introduced them to her right away & did so numerous times a day each day, we also did a lot of positive reinforcement & doggie treats. I just kinda knew she would be good with them though, she is very much a 'mama" dog. My brothers rottie would eat them in a heartbeat so whenever he's over the chickens are put away safely. He's also the most friendly dog ever - but has known to chase & kill cats so I didn't even try & introduce him to the chicks lol I really think it has more to do with their personality than anything.

Good luck!

Last edited:
our do at first wanted to eat the pullets, but after repeated yelling at her, she is now content to just stare and leave them alone! i hope that continues!!
she is outside without any supervision and hasnt 'done it'. its been 7months so far. i dont know how shell be w the lil chicks tho!
i watched an episode of the dog whisperer and he broke a dog from eating hens!!!
so thats where i got my hope from~~
good luck and at first i wouldt let him/her out by themself...

Back
Top Bottom