How do I introduce new chickens to a one chicken flock?

Kahuna Moa

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 6, 2011
I know it sounds weird but here is the situation. Thank you in advance for the help.

I was given a ~4 week old pullet that is now about 8 weeks. It currently lives with us in the house but it is about time for it to go outside in the coop we built for it. It cries when left alone and I'm worried that it will be lonely by itself outside in the coop. I realize that chickens are social animals. I want to help by getting 2-3 more chickens so it can have some friends and start its own flock.

The question is, what is the best way to do this? Should I buy some chicks from the local hatchery and when their old enough try and introduce them slowly using some of the techniques suggested in many threads on this board. Or is it possible to wait until she is old enough and slip a couple of fertilized eggs in her nest?

This is my first time raising chickens and hadn't planned on raising one or any but now that it's happening I want to do it right. I'm clueless and open to any and all ideas.

Thanks!

Have you looked on craigslist? You can find people selling chix on there all the time and mayber find some that are a few weeks old. In my opinion and experience it seems that it's a numbers game, meaning that if you already have many birds in an established flock and want to add one that is younger and smaller, then look out!!! You'll probably have problems, but you're the reverse of this so I don't think it would be an issue at all, and 8 wks is still fairly young, but if you could put your brooder in your coop and let them all be together it could work out great.

Back
Top Bottom