How do I introduce silkie pullets to the flock?

Gigachad poultry

💖
Premium Feather Member
Dec 24, 2022
Vicenza IT
As the tile say I need to introduce my silkie pullets to my flock and I'm wondering how to? Here's a photo of them. They seem interested in the flock but how do I know the flock will protect them? They are extremely tiny!
PXL_20230907_124304889.MP.jpg
PXL_20230907_124258580.jpg

I usually just stick my new ones in and check on them now and then. Eventually, the flock takes them in. If they're being picked on, I'll make a pen beside the main pen so that the big chickens get used to them, and then after a while put them back in.
I'd say if the other chickens aren't going after them a lot, just leave them in and monitor them.

I usually just stick my new ones in and check on them now and then. Eventually, the flock takes them in. If they're being picked on, I'll make a pen beside the main pen so that the big chickens get used to them, and then after a while put them back in.
I'd say if the other chickens aren't going after them a lot, just leave them in and monitor them.
Thanks for the information! I have tons of kestrels and sparrow hawks and they will normally hunt rabbits and other things similar or bigger to their size. I'm not sure if they would stay with the flock and there is so much forest it would be difficult to catch them. What do you think the possibility of them coming back is? If they do run into the woods.

Also I took a photo of Cheep and I think she's a pullet. Her comb is very flat and her tail is very round. I also think she has SOP (standard of perfection) potential! She has extra toes on both feet, a beard, and a crest. Here are some photos of her. I might be able to use her for a SOP breeding group!
PXL_20230907_124917820.jpg
PXL_20230907_124928668.jpg
PXL_20230907_125152342.jpg

Thanks for the information! I have tons of kestrels and sparrow hawks and they will normally hunt rabbits and other things similar or bigger to their size. I'm not sure if they would stay with the flock and there is so much forest it would be difficult to catch them. What do you think the possibility of them coming back is? If they do run into the woods.
in that case, if your coop is big enough, I would put them in like a dog crate in the coop with food and water for three days and then let them out and see. That should train them to the coop. I've had to do that before too.

in that case, if your coop is big enough, I would put them in like a dog crate in the coop with food and water for three days and then let them out and see. That should train them to the coop. I've had to do that before too.
I've been doing something like that. I take my nicest hens who are always broody so I know they won't get bullied and I let them out for about 30 minutes to an hour and they get to explore the coop and bond with the nicest hens in the flock. I did that today with done other the other trustable hens and they seemed to be okay. I think I will let them roost with the flock tonight and I will see how they do in the morning when I let them out.

Back
Top Bottom